• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Buying from a dealer or private owner?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There's a screaming deal on a TT not too far from me with a "certificate of destruction" due to water damage but it looks fine. Apparently it can't be registered due to the COD. This would obviously be a cash deal, as anything else would be I'm interested in buying. This COD thing I find odd though, it seems it could be inspected if need be and recertified? At any rate, my other option would be to separate the camper body from the chassis and have the chassis weighed & register it as a utility trailer, a utility trailer that just happens to have a removable (not easily) camper body on it all the time. This would allow legal (but iffy) registration and a one time plate fee of ~$78 vs. ~$170/yr. with registration & property taxes.

The question I was posing in my original post was whether or not people really accept such outrageous terms resulting in huge interested paid? The rest of the fluff was just a babbling backstory.
Run away screaming or you will regret the buy for the rest of your life.
If you want to buy a totaled unit, find one that's been wrecked and not flooded with saltwater.

Also, if financing an rv never through a dealer. Spend a day on utube and see how they screw your brains out.
If you are paying cash, never tell them up front, as the real money is made in the closing of the deal.

This COD unit allegedly only had a roof leak, so yeah, something with saltwater I wouldn't want to mess with. This thing is cheap enough that after scraping the body from the frame, I'd still have a long utility trailer I could use.

I don't think the financing thing is any different from anyone else marketing an asset (or liability) that carries enough residual value to be financed, then quickly repossessed and liquidated should the buyer be unable to pay. The car, truck, RV, TT, etc. is just a vessel to get the financing involved, the fincancing is the product the physical asset is just a necessary byproduct required to push the financing.

The frames under campers are not worth anything. They are made of sheet metal. Even the frames of 5th wheels are thin. Run away.

I had one previously from under a tandem axle 25' something or other and it served me well after cutting it down to 20'. Tube steel starts as sheet metal, when I was consulting with Freightliner, the frame rails for class 8 trucks are sheet metal, they seem to hold up reasonably well. It's part of managing expectations, fortunately for me BTDTGTTS.

I won't turn down a good deal!

Forget saving money on the unit,it has to be a labor of love, to create something!!

I think the whole RV/TT thing has to be a labor of love to some extent. I too have trouble turning down a good deal! The last camper chassis I bought and used as a trailer, I even considered build my own camper on top of.

I think the whole RV/TT thing has to be a labor of love to some extent. I too have trouble turning down a good deal! The last camper chassis I bought and used as a trailer, I even considered build my own camper on top of.
I have built 4 campers, the last build, a slide in that was no higher than the PT, but had 6'2" standing room when setup. I pulled it across country with a PT Cruser. Like I said, it has to be a labor of love.

This COD unit allegedly only had a roof leak
Obviously, IDK, but my reaction would be "yeah, right :rolleyes:"

Can you get a copy of the insurance report or other official paperwork on the damage assessment?

As to financing, the last time I bought a vehicle (not my travel trailer), I got my credit union and the dealer to compete on loan terms. They went back and forth (through me) several times. They competed on all terms, interest, term of the loan, etc. Everything kept ratcheting down until the changes got so small I knew I was at the end. I ended up financing through the dealer and then immediately refinanced through the credit union. Of course, that was before [mod edit: inflation] hit and the Fed started increasing interest rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean about the inflation. My truck is worth a little more as a result but a new, bigger replacement tow vehicle is up ~40% not just from inflation but lack of deals and more mandatory packages now than ever. I tried to spec out a new F250 CCLB 4×2 with the 7.3L gas engine and it mandated 4×4 and a $7500 appearance package, WTF!

We opted to purchase from a private owner. I did my own very detailed inspection, made lots of pictures, and determined what would be required to make it 100% usable. I negotiated the price from there. I do my own work. We financed, obtaining an excellent loan from our bank.

We spent a bit more on repairs and updates than originally anticipated from the initial inspection, but only about 10%. That was largely $300 for a new Dometic toilet. Replaced the original plastic Dometic 300 with a Dometic 310. They said the warranty period and replacement program had ended.

As to buying from the dealer, they are in the business to make money at every turn of the deal. Oh, one may get a warranty, but in reading the headaches posted getting warranty work done, I'd prefer to save the money and do the work on my time. At least I know it is done right, what's done, and it doesn't take 3 months. Maybe 3 hours. Of course, I know everyone doesn't have the time, knowledge, and facilities to perform much maintenance. In that case, expect to pay and pay dearly, and wait and wait until it's done. Nothing moves fast these days.

Bob

Latest resources

Back