RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Georgetown 31L5
RV Length
35'
Fulltimer
No
Should I have an Independent Inspector inspect a 2022 used Coach if being purchased from a dealer ? Other then Manufacturers Warranty or an Extended Warranty do dealers offer anything else ?

Always get an independent certified inspector.Did I say always?

Got it, Always. What's a normal price and how do u find a qualified one ?

Look here, and the price range is determined by how detailed you want them to go.

We bought used from a dealer.
Carpenter’s Campers is a small, locally owned dealership in Pensacola, FL. They survive on their reputation for sales and service. When we were looking, our salesman spent time with us and learned what we required and desired in a Class A motorhome. He called us when he would find a potential coach that met our specs. We did not get an additional inspection outside of Carpenter’s.
We bought a terrific Georgetown that was five years old. Since then, we’ve had it in for service a few times and are always treated well by the Service Dept.
We learned early in our search to stay away from chain dealerships and that is echoed here every single day. Go local.

I would prefer to buy used from a private party.

Just completed an inspection this week with a certified inspector in AZ. Two man team and they were onsite with the RV for 8.5 hours, 122 page report with pics. It is worth the expense to know what you are getting yourself into, and I am much more confident in my soon to be purchase.

I personally won't buy used from a dealer.
Why you ask? I can look into the owners eyes and spot a lie! Sales men are trained liers
Not all salespersons, but unfortunately. many are.

I bought used from a dealer, La Mesa in Tucson, but the coach was only three years old and had only 16k miles on it and I was confident I could handle my own inspection. While doing so they also jumped in and voluntarily changed the oil in the engine and generator, serviced the Oasis, flushed the waste tanks, filled the propane, and installed new house batteries (6 of them), without being asked. They also detailed the outside and had a cleaning crew inside for a couple hours even though it wasn’t noticeably “dirty”.

All this after they accepted my tentative offer over the phone which was based on about six months research on dealer and private party sales and as far as I was concerned was a little low but was an “as is” offer. I think Covid (summer of 2020) may have influenced the deal as there were very few people doing anything at the dealership and our economy seemed to be shutting down, and of course dealers usually have a lot of negotiating room on used coaches.

The only negative part of the process was dealing with the in-house high-pressure over-priced warranty guy who was quite disappointed (and showed it) that I didn’t want/need their warranty and was paying cash. He wasted my time and his and neither of us were pleased and I was told a few months later that he no longer worked there.

The coach needed a minor slide adjustment a couple weeks after I purchased it and the dealership in Tucson had La Mesa in Sacramento do the work for me N/C even though there was no warranty. So it depends on where you go. I had a good experience - others I’m sure have not. But La Mesa certainly impressed me with their customer service ethic.

Latest resources

Back