• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Cable Modem Help

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. I know it took time to answer my questions. I'm slowly starting to understand this crap but I'm still very unsure about what to buy.

Thanks again!! :D(y)

It sounds like the IT dept disabled her wifi on the laptop so she couldn't use it, leaving only an ethernet connection. I think cellular internet would be fine. So you need to find a cellular modem that has an ethernet port on it - this one would work but is for AT&T and T-mobile only. You could find one for Verizon if desired. These modems are actually a cell connection, so you would buy a cell plan for it (or have the company pay for it.)

You could hook directly to that modem or buy a cheap switch to allow a little flexibility - connect a ethernet cable from the modem to the switch and then connect the laptop to the switch via another cable. You can hook printers, etc to the switch.

If your wife values her job, she should work with her company's IT department to find an acceptable way to do this while on the road. Setting up a work-around without company approval could create a liability for one or both parties. There's a reason that companies handling sensitive personal data set the systems up the way they do. Data security is a big issue.

Just my @.02 worth.

TJ

I'd propose you experiment with your current hardware as a next step before any investments. Take your mifi unit (assuming it's the Verizon 8800L? let us know). Tether it via the USB connection to you wife's work computer. THe modem should ID the tethered device automatically. Go into the network configuration on your wife's PC and make sure all connections are disabled EXCEPT the tethered connection, no wifi!

Then see if your wife can access her corporate resources as she normally does. If it works, then you've demonstrated she can work over cellular connection. Time to reach out to her help desk at work and confirm the new configuration is ok. She should just say she's connecting directly via cellular modem and not using wifi, that's it. Don't overexplain it. It's ok and lots of people use cellular connections in a secure fashion. If the company is truly concerned about security then they already have configured their own VPN on her laptop to secure the connection regardless.

If it works and you then were to implement a solution such as those proposed above, you are still working in the exact same fashion. Ethernet connection or USB to you choice of modem is not a change. Just don't use any public wifi anywhere in the chain.

8800l manual

Configure a USB Modem in Windows 10

I'd propose you experiment with your current hardware as a next step before any investments. Take your mifi unit (assuming it's the Verizon 8800L? let us know). Tether it via the USB connection to you wife's work computer. THe modem should ID the tethered device automatically. Go into the network configuration on your wife's PC and make sure all connections are disabled EXCEPT the tethered connection, no wifi!

Then see if your wife can access her corporate resources as she normally does. If it works, then you've demonstrated she can work over cellular connection. Time to reach out to her help desk at work and confirm the new configuration is ok. She should just say she's connecting directly via cellular modem and not using wifi, that's it. Don't overexplain it. It's ok and lots of people use cellular connections in a secure fashion. If the company is truly concerned about security then they already have configured their own VPN on her laptop to secure the connection regardless.

If it works and you then were to implement a solution such as those proposed above, you are still working in the exact same fashion. Ethernet connection or USB to you choice of modem is not a change. Just don't use any public wifi anywhere in the chain.

8800l manual

Configure a USB Modem in Windows 10
Thanks VTPete! I think I'll try that. I believe the Verizon MiFi we have is the 8800L It's only about 6 months old. I bought it to stream TV with in the Motorhome but quickly found out "Unlimited Data" doesn't mean unlimited data at fast speeds. ? However it does work really well for surfing the web with my lap top and my wife's iPad and our phones.

Will using the SIM card from the Verizon 8800L in a Peplink enable us to watch TV as well? Or will Verizon still throttle back the data speeds? This would be a bonus as our main concern is to get my wife's computer on-line. ?

Thanks VTPete! I think I'll try that. I believe the Verizon MiFi we have is the 8800L It's only about 6 months old. I bought it to stream TV with in the Motorhome but quickly found out "Unlimited Data" doesn't mean unlimited data at fast speeds. ? However it does work really well for surfing the web with my lap top and my wife's iPad and our phones.

Will using the SIM card from the Verizon 8800L in a Peplink enable us to watch TV as well? Or will Verizon still throttle back the data speeds? This would be a bonus as our main concern is to get my wife's computer on-line. ?
Yes, but verizon will indeed throttle you after your 20 something GB .. But first things first try the experiment, PM me if you have any detailed questions

Tj et al have provided you the best advice so far. Don't try & go around the intent of what her employer is trying to accomplish .
Hippa regulations are why the employer has various controls on internet connectivity in place. I would encourage you to google Hippa regulations (to develop an understanding) & then work with the IT department of your wife's employer to arrive at a solution that is acceptable to them.
I would hope your wife's employer is providing a employer VPN for her to use when processing their work. If not, I would suspect they are in violation of the very Hippa regulations they are trying to enforce by avoiding WiFi connectivity.
Now let's put all the Hippa stuff aside. All of the ideas put forth are very workable, but, will they be acceptable to your wife's employer?
I live & work from my RV full time. My work consists of remotely connecting to servers, downloading data, processing data, uploading data, connecting remotely to PC's to trouble shoot & a variety of other things. On average, I consume right around a GB of data a day spread over 8 hours that I attribute to work that is similar (data consumption) to your wife's work. That should give you an idea of what sort of speed you will need for your wife's work.
A cellular modem/router (various manufacturers/various prices) that is capable of meeting Hippa regulations should be acceptable to your wife's employer. Conceptually, working from an RV is not much different (technology wise) than working from a geographical location that is not served by a land based (cable or DSL) internet service provider.
Good luck.

Wow. Lots going on here. I’ll try to help simplify for you.

1. No, your idea with the cable modem will not work. Logically, I can see how you got there, but there is one problem with the plan. RV parks are not subscribing to broadband internet over those lines, they are subscribing to cable TV. So the signal coming in over that line to your pedestal is a TV signal, not an internet signal. So while buying a cable modem would allow you to decode and use an internet signal on that cable at your pedestal, the signal is more than likely not going to be there for your cable modem to use.

2. Your wife’s company requires her to use an Ethernet cable to her computer from your modem. No WiFi. That’s actually not a terrible policy when dealing with personal health information because most people can barely make their internet router turn on, much less securely configure it. That said, the requirement is for her computer to connect to your internet modem/router via ethernet. How the connection is handled upstream from there is not something they could reasonably detect, control or enforce. So all you need is a solution that can pick up the WiFi signal from your MiFi Hotspot and make it available over an Ethernet cable.

Something like this should work fine for your needs:

This device when placed in AP Mode will pick up the signal from your MiFi and make it available on its two Ethernet ports. Then, just plug in an Ethernet cable between this device and your wife’s computer.

To your wife’s employer, she will be in compliance.

Wow. Lots going on here. I’ll try to help simplify for you.

1. No, your idea with the cable modem will not work. Logically, I can see how you got there, but there is one problem with the plan. RV parks are not subscribing to broadband internet over those lines, they are subscribing to cable TV. So the signal coming in over that line to your pedestal is a TV signal, not an internet signal. So while buying a cable modem would allow you to decode and use an internet signal on that cable at your pedestal, the signal is more than likely not going to be there for your cable modem to use.

2. Your wife’s company requires her to use an Ethernet cable to her computer from your modem. No WiFi. That’s actually not a terrible policy when dealing with personal health information because most people can barely make their internet router turn on, much less securely configure it. That said, the requirement is for her computer to connect to your internet modem/router via ethernet. How the connection is handled upstream from there is not something they could reasonably detect, control or enforce. So all you need is a solution that can pick up the WiFi signal from your MiFi Hotspot and make it available over an Ethernet cable.

Something like this should work fine for your needs:

This device when placed in AP Mode will pick up the signal from your MiFi and make it available on its two Ethernet ports. Then, just plug in an Ethernet cable between this device and your wife’s computer.

To your wife’s employer, she will be in compliance.
Hey Mapnerd! I'm afraid you responded to an old post here. I wound up buying a Pepwave Max Transit 5G with the Cat 20 router. It works OK so far. I haven't installed the Pointang 7in1 antenna outside yet. I hope it picks up the cell towers better after I do. While in Florida I was having a terrible time getting it to load my AT&T sim card.

Hey Mapnerd! I'm afraid you responded to an old post here. I wound up buying a Pepwave Max Transit 5G with the Cat 20 router. It works OK so far. I haven't installed the Pointang 7in1 antenna outside yet. I hope it picks up the cell towers better after I do. While in Florida I was having a terrible time getting it to load my AT&T sim card.
I’m always late to the party. You might try getting a T-Mobile 100gb for $50 SIM Card. @Neal thinos it’s bunk but I find T-Mobile seems to fill the few AT&T gaps I encounter pretty well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back