Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Before I can be released back in the RV world I have one more home chore to complete. 2 of the 3 winter chores are complete, my final chore is build this damn workbench for my garage. I ordered a 72x30 bench top years ago and want to build a workbench around it. Drawing a blank on how to go about this and also where is the best place to buy lumber for a project like this?

Who are the workbench experts and feel free to share any tips on building a workbench, etc.

here's one

Interesting but I do want to build my own. Have to do it. :)

Interesting but I do want to build my own. Have to do it. :)
Its a kit, you do all the work, you can also use the picture as a guide for your own, plus it comes with prints for different sizes

OK Brother...having built a few (many) workbenches in this life, I can ell you some general wisdom. The reason you drive an RV like yours is due to it's strong construction. So build a strong workbench. No 2 x 4's like in the picture, but 4 x 4 posts for legs and 2 x 6 for cross bracing. If you are going to attach it to a wall simply build it into the wall (i.e., attach into studs). If you want / need it mobile then put on sturdy (and lockable) casters. The base is easy. Use rabbets for attaching cross bracing to posts and finish with glue and screws. Put your fancy top on and you are in business 😉 You can make your rabbets on a table saw if you have one, or even a skill saw and hand saw combo. Best way is a router if you have the set up. Here's a quick video for ideas. I'm sure there are many more out there. Once done, it's protocol to stand in your garage and stare at your handiwork for...well, the rest of the day. Blessings, and have fun.

Hmmm...I just watched that video. That might be more like a Prevost 😉 But, you get the idea!

I'm a woodworker of sorts. I would use the top you have and source rough, dry, hardwood lumber locally. If it's not as straight and clean as you'd like, most with a sawmill and kiln will also have the ability to joint and plane your lumber to your liking. I wouldn't get too hung up on giant dovetails or a moxon vice. I would just assemble it with carriage bolts. I would also make a shelf underneath and box the whole thing in, much better at keeping misc from falling out in the back that way. You can then add tools however you see fit or scour the local ads for a used set of machinist or similar draws making the area exponentially more useful.

The last one I built had 6x6 posts because I had some left over pieces long enough. The bench was 17‘ long and attached to the wall as mentioned above by a ledger board screwed to the 2x6 framing. So no rear posts and nice and solid. It was simple and stout. Using larger uprights you can joint your horizontals fully into the posts making strong joints. 4x4 uprights will work fine in most cases. What are you going to use it for? Anything heavy duty or just general project space?

It's just a general wood shop work bench for the garage for small projects such as basement shelving in the RV, general house items and repair work station, etc. I always wanted to get into wood working and went on a shopping spree for all kinds of wood working stuff a few years ago that has just been sitting in the corner of the garage. Probably a mistake but it's done and I at least want to put the bench together and have a little fun with my first real wood working project. Been watching some YouTube videos but it's time to make this happen.

decades of 2x4's and plywood tops always worked for me. 4x4 post and bracing for a vice, some shelves underneath and done. never needed anything fancier... ;-)

Latest resources

Back