• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Calling all carpenters

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The key to a strong base it to make sure it can't "rack". The base you show in the video has strong stringers on the bottom that you can ensure, stay tight. Design the frame/stringers on the top that will also not allow any racking.
Actually, the video shows exactly how to make a super strong base. I made a dining table using the thru-tenon/wedge approach that you could put a car on, it was so strong.

Whatever you do, make sure you pick a solid design. I can't abide a wobbly or racking workbench. Making stuff as a hobby is a good way to achieve peace of mind and can be pretty relaxing. A wobbly bench is antithetical to that peace of mind no matter the work.

Yup, solid, and I hear often your workbench is not the last one you'll make.

Today I got the lumber, not so impressed with it but didn't want to go to Lowes so I supported local business and got at least the basics.

I don't know why that stuff is so heavy! I worked out once two weeks ago! It should have been easier to handle! :(

I went to big box store for some 10 foot 2 bys' a couple of weeks ago and finally gave up after digging out 20 or so that looked like wet noodles. A local yard had some that was at least usable.

If you have a mind of making a thing or two for family and friends, a lathe is a great way to make some pretty impressive looking stuff with a beginner skill set.

Latest resources

Back