• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Calling all carpenters

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm with widdershins. Pre-Youtube I just split a sheet of 3/4" plywood and knocked some 2x4's together for six legs. Key for me was to secure them to the wall studs with lag screws. made them nice and solid. I ended up making four but most are more storage. Three have vices on them though.

Now if if you are wanting a freestanding one then you want to have more of a plan because you really want stability in a workbench and winging it probably won't get you that. My benches have been in service for 20 years. I've tried to tear the big vice out of one a time or two but nothing has budged yet. One bench has an engine on it. As well as they've served me I'm sure anything more would be overkill. For me. I'm more a mechanic/jack of all trades. If you want a dedicated woodworking bench then by all means, watch some Youtube for ideas. Maybe even get a set of plans.

Okay, heading to lumber yard today to support local / small business and pick up some 4x4, 2x6, 2x4, and shelving (not sure if plywood or something nicer). This video really draws my attention (for the base frame):

That's awesome albeit advanced IMHO. I don't have the shop to easily attempt something that intricate and precise...yet I agree with you, it's a very cool workbench. Can't wait to see what you decide. I was thinking you would just 3D print one 😉 Blessings

3D printing - that would be cool. But I have the design I bought of the above in my 3D software and I need to figure out the design of mine based on some of those features. As a new woodworker obviously mine will be nothing like the above but concepts are the takeaway.

So…how into wood working do you want to get? 😀

Have a cast iron Delta Rockwell wood lathe that needs a new home. Have the turning tools to go with it as well.

I got the bug, did the buying, bug flew away. This was back when I had great ideas about building shelving in my basements (Ventana) which I will someday redo. I did it cheaply when at a CG in Tucson and it's worked fine. I just need to get my garage and workbench organized with the things I bought and see how things go.

Long ago I really wanted to learn how to use a lathe. Always fascinated me. Don't see it happening. What have you created with it?

Standard bowls, candle holders, etc.

Grandfather had one and I have some of his turning tools. He created some really cool lamps with different colors of wood all glued together then turned to have them come through.

My uncle is at a whole other level than my grandfather was.

The one I have is ancient - came from my dads high school and they bought it as a Christmas present one year. I’ve had it over 50 years now.

Here’s a 4x8 bench I built, notice the corner braces

Attachments

• 28D009BF-A5F6-47BC-AC43-EFFF0338431A.jpeg
    28D009BF-A5F6-47BC-AC43-EFFF0338431A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • EFD10BC6-9BCF-4B38-AAAF-DFD280E5A1EE.jpeg
    EFD10BC6-9BCF-4B38-AAAF-DFD280E5A1EE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 64DB302E-4235-4A81-872B-68B9F8607A39.jpeg
    64DB302E-4235-4A81-872B-68B9F8607A39.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 5CBAF04B-480A-421C-A613-F58D2F339A67.jpeg
    5CBAF04B-480A-421C-A613-F58D2F339A67.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Nice!

You already have some great ideas from seasoned woodworkers. I built houses for 30 years and worked in cabinets shops after moving to Tenn. Throw in some timber framed houses and boat work and I have the bases covered. There is no wrong way, it really depends on how much time you want to spend on joinery and such. Enjoy the project because no matter which plan you choose, you will think of a way you should have done it differently next time!

Latest resources

Back