• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Campground Closures & Social Distancing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I know it is frustrating to have this happen. That said, KOA's cancellation policy is clearly stated on its website; they retain a $10 cancellation fee.

TJ

I would feel the same way as you. However, from the perspective of the individual franchise owner, he/she is likely scared to death that they might not survive, and have to go out of business. I don't know how tight of a margin the owners run on, but they still have to pay their franchise fee, maintenance fees, utility bills, salaries, and taxes, even if the campground is empty.

Don't get me wrong, I would want my money back also, but I am not going to go under, not getting it back. Unless things change in the near future, some of them will not be around next year.

I had several KOA's refund full no questions asked for March. I understand both sides, it sucks, but I think everyone is going to try to get into the mindset May 1 and beyond to start opening up again and with that if they are open and ready to serve you then I can see their stance. We all want to get back to normal, I'm ready to get on the road again!

Yes all of you have valid points. However let me set am example. Face masks were in short supply. China bought up the supply along with many distributers. Those distributors are trying to sell those masks at 3 4 times their sugested price. Now good business would allow them to make that profit, due to supply and demand. Their contract or policy also alows them to set their price.
However, we have standards, morals and laws against profiteering.

It is KOA's standard to charge for cancilation, but I stipulate that the cancellation policy was put into effect to keep people from abusing the reservation policy. Park owners are not loosinh money by my cancelation, because it is being done with plenty of notice. In Calif. You plan a trip 6 months ahead of time, as the parks in Ca. Will probably already be full. For KOA to take advantage, or not to make concessions to their cancellation policy, is just plain poor customer relations!

By the way I am retired manager for Mercedes Benz, not a dealer, but the company, and we would never talk advantage of such a situation.

We just stayed at a KOA last week. It was a last minute reservation, and the closest nice open campground near the state's best veterinary hospital. We had to take our sick dog there for emergency surgery to save her life. None of our local vets would do it. We reserved three nights. We arrived in the early evening and took our dog to the hospital for surgery, about 30 minutes away the next morning. There was no cell service at the remote location of this KOA campground. The animal hospital requested us to stay close by and be able to accept calls for any reason that may arise. So, we rushed back, grabbed the motorhome and headed back to town.
The owners were very understanding, and refunded the two nights we did not stay. Good honest people running that KOA. We will be going back, hopefully with a healthy pup.

We just stayed at a KOA last week. It was a last minute reservation, and the closest nice open campground near the state's best veterinary hospital. We had to take our sick dog there for emergency surgery to save her life. None of our local vets would do it. We reserved three nights. We arrived in the early evening and took our dog to the hospital for surgery, about 30 minutes away the next morning. There was no cell service at the remote location of this KOA campground. The animal hospital requested us to stay close by and be able to accept calls for any reason that may arise. So, we rushed back, grabbed the motorhome and headed back to town.
The owners were very understanding, and refunded the two nights we did not stay. Good honest people running that KOA. We will be going back, hopefully with a healthy pup.
Wishing your pup all the best. Those little critters really tug at the heartstrings.

TJ

Couple years ago, my wife and I stayed at a former KOA. The folks were sick of the squeeze between KOA & trying to make a living. Seems franchise fees, keeping up 'the look' & honoring corporate discounts cut their profits to the point that they felt like wage slaves. They got off the treadmill and ran the CG like they wanted. One of the best campgrounds we have ever been to. All of the staff were happy and made sure you were as well.

We have been impressed with the many upgrades and management at the KOAs we’ve stayed. I’ve had to cancel reservations before and pay the fee. I know some are moving reservations for free due to the crisis. We use KOAs quite a bit nd know we pay more for the nightly use, but we also have come to have certain expectations of the brand and that helps. I’m sure there are still some out there that aren’t up to par, but we’ve been pleased. It’s still far less expensive than hotel rooms, unless you’re in a resort area. We also camp at COEs and state or national parks. It’s a completely different type of atmosphere and I have different needs and expectations for that type of camping.

We haven’t done any other memberships, but we are looking into them. The one we find least practical is the Thousand Trail membership, but it works for others very well.

Couple years ago, my wife and I stayed at a former KOA. The folks were sick of the squeeze between KOA & trying to make a living. Seems franchise fees, keeping up 'the look' & honoring corporate discounts cut their profits to the point that they felt like wage slaves. They got off the treadmill and ran the CG like they wanted. One of the best campgrounds we have ever been to. All of the staff were happy and made sure you were as well.
I too have seen this.

I have had no troubles for overnight stays from Arizona through Utah on my way to Montana. I am scheduled to go on a Fantasy RV Tour of Quebec, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland for 61 days. We are supposed to meet up in Montreal on June 16th and Fantasy has not cancelled the tour yet. Quite frankly, I don't want to go on the tour at this point of time, so I need to start making reservations for the summer. ???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back