• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Campground etiquette

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A few, of many, things my father taught me. If it's not yours, don't touch it. If you want something, work hard for it. If you tell someone your are going to be somewhere at a certain time, be there. Don't cut through other people's campsites.
If some kids or adults cut through mine, I never say anything. They probably didn't have as great of dad as I did.

Lights are a thing too. I have LED lights all over from under slide, under glow (underneath coach) and I rarely use them now. I'm annoyed by it now (I'm old and cranky) so I rarely use mine anymore. At my current location it comes to my attention who is lit up...
Man, those have been on my to do list since the beginning. I love the lights. Cranky, sometimes old, no way. Still want the lights.

Typically when traveling solo I am up and out close to dawn. I will close up as much as possible the night before departure. The only thing I might leave is a power cord to 50 amp to use to close up the bedroom slide. Main slide closed the night before.
a quick walk around and then power up and go.
If we leave after breakfast noise is typically not an issue. We head to check out, load toad and go.
when camping we are typically inside after dinner and relatively qulet.
also, we try very hard to arrive before dinner at any campsite.

Typically when traveling solo I am up and out close to dawn. I will close up as much as possible the night before departure. The only thing I might leave is a power cord to 50 amp to use to close up the bedroom slide. Main slide closed the night before.
a quick walk around and then power up and go.
If we leave after breakfast noise is typically not an issue. We head to check out, load toad and go.
when camping we are typically inside after dinner and relatively qulet.
also, we try very hard to arrive before dinner at any campsite.
People who arrive late don't necessarily bother me. I know how tough it is to get everything and everyone loaded up and hit the road and sometimes stuff just goes wrong while you're on your way. However, the people who arrive the latest always seem intent on packing all their fun into the first evening. It's full dark and after quiet hours and the kids are riding bikes and the adults are chopping wood and getting drunk with their 20 closest friends around the fire, etc.

People that arrive early, bother me. Check-in at 1 PM and they arrive at 11'ish thinking that's acceptable. Nope, etiquette again - follow the check-in and out times. Today I have a 3 PM check-in at a KOA, good thing I looked. I had hoped to get there at 1 so I can get some work done but I'll work prior to leaving.

People that arrive early, bother me. Check-in at 1 PM and they arrive at 11'ish thinking that's acceptable. Nope, etiquette again - follow the check-in and out times. Today I have a 3 PM check-in at a KOA, good thing I looked. I had hoped to get there at 1 so I can get some work done but I'll work prior to leaving.
This is one of our biggest problems here at the park! Check out is 11:00am and Check in is 1:00pm. That only gives us 2 hours to mow the lawn, clean the refrigerators and counters, etc. If there is only 1 site to prep, then no problem. But if 4-5 people leave, and I've got 4-5 coming in, things can get pretty hectic.

Guests don't understand the effort that goes into getting things ready for them, and when someone leaves late, and then someone comes in early, we are in trouble.

I don't understand why the campgrounds around here have check out at 11 AM and check in not until 2 PM given that nothing is done in that time. It's not like the staff go around and clean up the sites or anything like that, at least at the campgrounds we go to in the Canadian national parks (obviously may be different for other campgrounds). If you're switching sites in the middle of your stay, it's totally fine to leave your original site at 11 and drive directly to your new site (assuming the previous occupants are out) but it's not ok to come in at 11 if it's your first night staying there. Why not? What difference does it make? Or is it just that the staff need a 3 hour lunch break?

I appreciate it, I really do, but if I tell you I'm fine please stop trying to "help."

This was a problem with boating as well, when docking. Well intentioned people trying to help you when you don't need or want it. They do not know what your intentions are and concerns you carry when docking your craft.

Lights are a thing too. I have LED lights all over from under slide, under glow (underneath coach) and I rarely use them now. I'm annoyed by it now (I'm old and cranky) so I rarely use mine anymore. At my current location it comes to my attention who is lit up...

Thank you! I appreciate you not turning on your outside lights. We frequently go to a park in Big Bend National Park that states in their rules "We are a dark skies park, please do not have any outside lights on after dusk". There are always 3 or 4 lit up like it's New Year's Eve.

This is one of our biggest problems here at the park! Check out is 11:00am and Check in is 1:00pm. That only gives us 2 hours to mow the lawn, clean the refrigerators and counters, etc. If there is only 1 site to prep, then no problem. But if 4-5 people leave, and I've got 4-5 coming in, things can get pretty hectic.

Guests don't understand the effort that goes into getting things ready for them, and when someone leaves late, and then someone comes in early, we are in trouble.

I've seen how quickly Trish gets everything ready for the next guest while you're walking around looking like you don't know what to do next. I told you when we were there you need a better inventory system for the liquor cabinet.

I've seen how quickly Trish gets everything ready for the next guest while you're walking around looking like you don't know what to do next. I told you when we were there you need a better inventory system for the liquor cabinet.
Why do I need an inventory system for something that is always empty???

:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back