• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Campground etiquette

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My bride read the Freightliner manual - it explicitly states that idling should NOT be done over a few minutes.
Apparently idling tends to create more diesel particulates, clogging up the DPF, and requiring more DPF regens.
The only time we idle more than a couple minutes is after getting off the highway. Manual states it needs a 3 minute cool down period to allow temps to cool, to avoid damage to the turbo and cylinders.

We tend to use the quiet gen to run the A/C while getting setup. The quiet gen is much quieter than the rig’s engine, but it puts out more smell.

Generally, courtesy in society seems to be a thing of the past that we can sit around and reminisce about.

Campground etiquette? No such thing, long gone! We're currently at a Thousand Trails park visiting with friends and have witnessed stuff that common courtesy tells us not to do. Idling diesel engines at 6 am, adults and kids walking/running, riding bikes through sites, dog turd land mines, drunks with loud music all day, all night. Sitting in cars after dark with headlights on, windows open, conversing loudly for all around to hear using hands free phone.... I don't get that one. Finally, to end my rant, the bathrooms/showers are absolutely filthy..... I wonder if that's what some people do in their own homes? I really feel sorry for the staff who need to pick up the garbage and dirty diapers and clean the feces off the floors and shower walls. I think what we knew as etiquette is now called entitlement.
Last trip we were on, I noticed that the kids staying in other sites were quiet all day then, shortly after quiet hours started, the hooting and hollering and running around like banshees would start.

Most of you sound like the people that move up to quaint fishing villages.(check my avatar) and as soon as you move in you bitch about the lobster boats you thought were so quaint starting up at 3:30 in the morning. Can't you fish later? Can't you put mufflers on them? Can't you just leave now that I am here? The best one was, "This would be a great place if it weren't for the locals".
I built a house for one particular bieatch that was feather white over clam diggers on the flats in front of here house. She would not stand for that! As a former digger myself, I advised her she had no legal rights on the flats below high water mark and if she pitched to big a bieatch she would be picking raspberries. She asked what that meant and I told her raspberries grow where there has been a fire. It was not well taken but I did finish the house.
Etiquette is in the eye of the beholder. Camping in the old days when the campgrounds were not crowded was probably very nice. But now that the general population is involved, you will get what the general population brings. And in my experience, city dwellers do not give a rats a$$ what you or anyone else thinks.

@TheLooks summed it up nicely, so rants do have a place in teaching us how our actions are viewed by others! But!!! Unless we are looking inward, we only see what we don't like others do!

So the lesson should be "we can only change the world, one person at a time, and we start with ourselves!"

Bringing up points such as not idling your diesel coach in front of other sites on a cool morning where people have their windows open raises awareness. Some people, hopefully reading comments such as this, can learn from this and think "oh yeah, I didn't think of that, oops." Keeping your mouth shut and not helping others to learn some basic etiquette is not a way for others to learn. Imagine if no one ever mentioned that cutting across people's sites was a bad thing. It's not a written rule, it's something we learn from others. Want to know what annoys me...cutting across my site multiple times. We learn how to camp and share the experience among others. If you go by the rule of "self" you will never learn from others. Open your ears, you may learn something.

Feel free to add....

If you are leaving the campground and pull out your diesel Class A to connect your TOAD and you stop in front of other sites, turn OFF your engine! No one wants to listen to your diesel engine for X minutes while you connect and run checklists.

I mentioned this before when on another site that when checking in to also shut off your engine if near sites to keep the noise level down. Some I know like to keep dash A/C running for pets, etc. so yeah, differing scenarios. Just be cognizant of the noise you create for campers nearby.

I realize some do not have the gene to be considerate of others, we all know these types exist. Hopefully this thread can bring some awareness to be considerate of others and in this case with your engine noise.
This proper etiquette for all vehicles. In todays world many come with very load gas and diesel pickups. Also you have to remember that this is a transient place you where people come and go at will. On some vehicles the engine must be running in order to operate some systems. This is true of some of the hydraulic leveling systems. My recommendation be aware of your surroundings and considerate of those near by. Keep all noise to a minimum not just engine noise.

I think what most of this boils down to is common sense, which unfortunately isn't all that common anymore.
In the world of RVs, where wheels are homes,
Folks roam far, across the earth's domes.

But common sense often seems quite rare,
As if caught in some strange headlight's glare.

With slides out at gas stops, in the traffic's stream,
Acts that make you wonder, if it's all a dream.

Grey water dumping in public, oh, what a blight,
In the midst of nature's awe, such an unsightly sight.

RVs parked skew, on a downhill slant,
Leaning like Pisa, a sight so quaint.

In this RV world, we can only hope and pray,
For a dose of common sense, to brighten our way.

Tent camping with my oldest son last night was an utter joy. Everyone else in the campsite was behaving, and my kid was in bed early enough for me to read a while with no distractions other than pausing every so often to put another log on the fire.

The one that bothers me the most is people who can’t shut up during quiet hours.

2C1CF40B-B03A-4E1D-86CD-5F248B0F5A9F.jpeg

19DBDF71-156F-48D0-9113-4294A50B0673.jpeg

I left a park around 9 this morning and according to the instructions for my year and make Newmar, I need to retract the jacks and build up air pressure before I bring in the slides. I know it doesn't take very long but it seems it takes forever to build up air pressure.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back