• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Campground etiquette

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes. The park has a rule that says no fires at the camp site yet people bring portable fire pits and wood and burn away.
I've been to several parks that don't allow ground fires but allow container, Solo Fire Pits type, fires.
Yeah, my group isn't up late enough to need much of a fire. :)
Exactly, unless the park owners stay too late.

Also why when an individual does use an accelerant why do they have to put on an extreme amount?
Well, much like the challenge of using as much firewood as possible for $20, sometimes there's a desire to start it in a dramatic fashion. This too is something I've evolved beyond, but in my younger years. . . . .

Reminds me of a rafting trip with several friends about 15 years ago, the first night we were comped a nice cabin with a hot tub, trying to get us to come back sorta thing, the next night we were in the camp ground we originally reserved. It was largely younger folks but I and the rest of our party was whooped. The folks about 120 yards away still had plenty of energy and enjoyed feeding the fire accelerant in increasing amounts proportional to the amount of alcohol they consumed. By midnight I was well tucked in yet every 10 minutes it looked like the sun was at high noon for 0.1second. They must have been dumping better than a gallon of gas at a time on a still healthy fire. I peeked out once to see what exactly they were doing and it didn't look particularly safe. The mushroom cloud was sufficient to illuminate the tremendous amount of black smoke instantly shot into the air when the gas (?) ignited.

Yes it could be for an elderly camper or someone with physical restrictions
How do they get in and out of their trailers?

Also, I guarantee there aren't dozens of elderly, disabled people at every campground all the time. If I heard the occasional person doing it, fine, but it seems to be every single campsite every single time we go.

Yes. The park has a rule that says no fires at the camp site yet people bring portable fire pits and wood and burn away.
Never seen anybody with a portable wood burning firepit. We bring our propane one, which is no different than a barbeque would be.

Never seen anybody with a portable wood burning firepit. We bring our propane one, which is no different than a barbeque would be.
These Solo Stoves are very popular. Some guests bring them themselves, other times we provide them. They're smokeless, or very close to it. Neat little stoves!

How do they get in and out of their trailers?

Also, I guarantee there aren't dozens of elderly, disabled people at every campground all the time. If I heard the occasional person doing it, fine, but it seems to be every single campsite every single time we go.
I am guessing they get in and out through the doors. Maybe they have a motorhome? I am sorry I am being facetious here but there are so many other things that are much more irritating than this at some campgrounds. There may be a time when you can no longer muscle the stabilizers down but still want to camp. Are you going to be one of those people with the impact?

While on the leveler topic. I thought I would bring this up. As a Newbie several years ago I would have my diesel pusher running when leveling, FYI at least on my Coachman Encore 40TS it is not necessary to run the engine when leveling.

Last edited:
I'll take the impacts over barking dogs any day. Afterall, what does it take for them to run thier levelers down, 5 minutes?

I'm not Mr.Eco but the thing about bringing your own firewood is very real. If I cut down some trees at home and pack them as firewood I may be transporting insects to another part of the country and introducing a destructive insect invasion to a part of the country that has never seen those insects before. This has already happened, multiple times. Any educated national park ranger can probably fill in more details. I've yet to see a national park campground ruleset that didn't make note of not bringing in "your own" firewood.

BIG exception. If you read the fine print, you CAN bring in firewood that is native to the area (bought down the street from the campground) or the pre-packaged stuff you can buy at most grocery stores and such. The plastic wrapped grocery store stuff has been heated or otherwise treated to kill any insects or larvae that might be in it. So that stuff is good to use anywhere fires are allowed. I usually pick that up locally way ahead of any trips.

Yeah, my group isn't up late enough to need much of a fire. :)
Hah! Wait til I get there in October! Be prepared to drink tequila by the campfire. 😂

Hah! Wait til I get there in October! Be prepared to drink tequila by the campfire. 😂
You may live to regret that statement.

Latest resources

Back