• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Campground late departures.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm not a "go with the flow" kind of guy. I also don't believe in "Don't Make Waves." I firmly believe it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. When I pay for a campsite and my time begins at 4 PM I want that site empty at 4 PM. As I said, I feel those folks were STEALING from me, not the campground. I have written (not email) a letter to the COE's complaining about a lack of oversight on checkout times. During the week I was camped there I saw a number of late departures.
Once that couple departed and I got my trailer setup, I had a few neighbors come over to commiserate with me. Apparently late departures are a thing at this campground.
So, if you got to the campground an hour early and the campsite was vacant, would you wait until 4:00 pm before moving in and parking? Applying the same standard you use for departures, the campsite belongs to someone else until 4:00 pm.

TJ

Bottom line....not everyone tells time the same way, or watches the clock the same. Expect delays and plan accordingly and you will be happier. Demand promptness from everyone and you will be destined for a life of trials and tribulations.
Especially when concerning a spouse?

So, if you got to the campground an hour early and the campsite was vacant, would you wait until 4:00 pm before moving in and parking? Applying the same standard you use for departures, the campsite belongs to someone else until 4:00 pm.

TJ
You seem to be working very hard trying to justify late departures. Once a camper has departed a site you're not stealing time from anyone. But since you brought up the subject of arriving early I've seen rude behavior on the part of early arrivals too such as parking their rig on the road by the site and harassing the occupants trying to get them to leave early.

You seem to be working very hard trying to justify late departures. Once a camper has departed a site you're not stealing time from anyone. But since you brought up the subject of arriving early I've seen rude behavior on the part of early arrivals too such as parking their rig on the road by the site and harassing the occupants trying to get them to leave early.
Not trying to "justify" anything; simply wanted to better understand the full scope of your position.

TJ

So how do you handle doctors appointments? They seem to always be stealing my time, which is far more valuable than their time is :)
Ok, I don't like waiting in a doctor's office either, but from the inside view, I can tell you that most of the time when they are behind, it is not their fault. Many times a patient will make a 10 minute appoint ment for a cold and when they get in the exam room, they reveal all kinds of other complaints (ie. depression, they start crying, etc., or someone ends up with chest pain in the office which involves a lot more stuff than a 10 minute visit.). Now the 10 minute appointment turns into 1/2 hour. They also, must schedule one patient every 15 minutes. Medicine is no longer all about patient care. They now must produce numbers, like the rest of the corporate world, in order to generate enough income for them and the corporate entity to which most belong, these days. This does not even account for the extensive documentation required after each patient visit.

Ok, I don't like waiting in a doctor's office either, but from the inside view, I can tell you that most of the time when they are behind, it is not their fault. Many times a patient will make a 10 minute appoint ment for a cold and when they get in the exam room, they reveal all kinds of other complaints (ie. depression, they start crying, etc., or someone ends up with chest pain in the office which involves a lot more stuff than a 10 minute visit.). Now the 10 minute appointment turns into 1/2 hour. They also, must schedule one patient every 15 minutes. Medicine is no longer all about patient care. They now must produce numbers, like the rest of the corporate world, in order to generate enough income for them and the corporate entity to which most belong, these days. This does not even account for the extensive documentation required after each patient visit.
I don't disagree, but rather was illustrating that being flexible is the best way to not get bent out of shape. .makes life happier for you and those you interact with.

This is really about camping etiquette and not doctor's appointments. As far as I'm concerned late departure without a good cause is a breach of camping etiquette. That's my position.

I'm a stickler about being on time.

I hate for someone to make an appointment to meet me at 1:00 and then show up late, sometimes not at all. And with no call either. I understand there are exceptions for everything, but if I'm scheduled for a 4:00 check in, and the people have had all day to get their sh*t together and they're still there, I'm gonna be unhappy.

I can almost guarantee you that I have scheduled something to do later that evening as well, and I counted on getting my rig in and set up in time for me to get to my next scheduled event. Which may be dinner, a show, or whatever. Now I'm going to be late because these other people had no concern for anyone else except themselves.

Not the end of the world, but I'm sick and tired of inconsiderate people. And that lack of consideration is becoming more and more common it seems.

Just my .02.

I put blame firmly on the park rules and management. I don't care if it is a COE or what - who has people checking out or in at the same time. My experience is that there is usually an hour buffer so that the staff can check the sites that will be moved into.
Let's say that they do have a 1 hour buffer and that the current camper pulls out on time, some people, having been there before and knowing the checkout/in times, try to check in an hour early to get more camp time - that is what @Neal is referring to. The problem is that some people will bend any guidelines or rules to suite themselves .i.e. "I'm not leaving until someone shows up for the site". Or everyone is checked out at 11 and no one is staffing the CG, so the person intentionally arrives an hour early to bend the rules to get more camp time.

I remember arriving at the main gate of a CG 10 mins early and being told I must leave the property for 10 more mins. I was miffed, instead of letting me sit there for 10 mins, I had to unhook our towed, do a u-turn and get off the property. I knew when check in time was, I happened to arrive from the 125 mile leg, just a few minutes, not hours early. So now that I know how strict they are I wait at the nearby Publix until just before check-in time and arrive at/just after the time (and btw, when I get there at check-in time, there are always a backup of RVs at the gate that refused to vacate the property)

Latest resources

Back