Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
Driving down I40 in caravan with my sister in front. She calls and says, I think your steps are out. We pull off at the next exit and they were out. We had just stopped at a rest area for a quick bathroom break, and I was actually working on a door squeak, and they went out just fine. Anyway, pulled power and all that jazz and eventually they went in herky jerkey. Would open quick, but go in slowly and in fits and starts. Got them in and unplugged motor to keep them in to get to the campground.

While driving down the road called Newmar and he told me mostly likely is either bad motor or that the step rails were binding. Didn't think it was likely to be the controller. I had wife grab quickie manual from Newmar manuals bag and looked up what we thought was the motor. Called Camping World Albuquerque and they had one of those motors in stock. Asked him to put my name on it. Called Newmar parts to confirm the motor model number and controller, just in case it was the controller, got to Albuquerque, drove to Camping World, got the motor and controller, went back and my brother in law helped (read, he did it -- just replaced his Tiffin's a week or two ago) the motor, and they are working fine now.

Would have been a major damper trying to use a step stool with wife and dogs to get in and out, and would have had to try and get an overnight package along the way. Got real lucky that Camping World had it and it was close to our overnight tonight.

I'll now be ordering another step motor, and keeping the controller, to add to my collection of spare parts.

Driving down I40 in caravan with my sister in front. She calls and says, I think your steps are out. We pull off at the next exit and they were out. We had just stopped at a rest area for a quick bathroom break, and I was actually working on a door squeak, and they went out just fine. Anyway, pulled power and all that jazz and eventually they went in herky jerkey. Would open quick, but go in slowly and in fits and starts. Got them in and unplugged motor to keep them in to get to the campground.

While driving down the road called Newmar and he told me mostly likely is either bad motor or that the step rails were binding. Didn't think it was likely to be the controller. I had wife grab quickie manual from Newmar manuals bag and looked up what we thought was the motor. Called Camping World Albuquerque and they had one of those motors in stock. Asked him to put my name on it. Called Newmar parts to confirm the motor model number and controller, just in case it was the controller, got to Albuquerque, drove to Camping World, got the motor and controller, went back and my brother in law helped (read, he did it -- just replaced his Tiffin's a week or two ago) the motor, and they are working fine now.

Would have been a major damper trying to use a step stool with wife and dogs to get in and out, and would have had to try and get an overnight package along the way. Got real lucky that Camping World had it and it was close to our overnight tonight.

I'll now be ordering another step motor, and keeping the controller, to add to my collection of spare parts.
Glad you got lucky and its nice to hear something positive about CW for a change. What are the prices, part numbers, and manufacturers for the motor and controller?

Glad you got lucky and its nice to hear something positive about CW for a change. What are the prices, part numbers, and manufacturers for the motor and controller?
For my Venta, three two step model, the motor is 1101428 (Kwikee part number, different one on motor, which is also different than original, both from AM or AMI as the manufacturer), and controller is 909510000 Kwikee number. I'm going to contact Kwikee and be 100% that the controller that CW gave me is correct.

Agreed, not always a big fan of CW, but I will say, they also bailed me out with my previous Thor when the hot water heater controller went out, and they had it in stock.

There is also a gear mechanism, but I'm thinking based on the way the guy at Newmar talked, that's not expected to fail, like a motor can.

I had the same situation a couple of years ago but I was no where near any RV Dealers. I pulled the motor from my step and recognized it as a Power Window Motor. It had a Ford Emblem on it. I cross referenced The Ford Part Number at a NAPA store in New Mexico. I can't guarantee that yours will be the same as mine but you might just let NAPA have a look at your old one and save yourself a few bucks. I bought a spare and still have not used it. WINDOW LIFT MOTOR NOE 6552596 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts I did price one from a dealer but I can only remember is was about double what I paid NAPA.

Safe Travels

Darrell

That particular one isn't my motor, but very close. They have two versions. One with the spline affixed to the motor shaft as pictured in link, and mine which has a rectangular shaft and a spline slips on to shaft, but isn't attached. However, since they carry the one style, I bet you are right and they will have the other as well.

Latest resources

Back