Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Puddle_berry

RVF Newbee
OK I feel like sort of an idiot. I purchased a trailer and it had some storage built onto the bumper area. Realized when I got at home that I couldn’t drive it up my steep driveway because it scraped the back “scrape bars”. When I pulled the trailer for the first time (going uphill 1500ft elevation), it was a very rough pull. I was using a larger truck so I didn’t notice it that much but it definitely felt like it was pulling weird/swaying. I pull trailers weekly but never had my truck sweat so much. I thought maybe it was the box and the weight in there? It has a tire and a battery in the lock box. Should I just cut this bumper storage off or is it better to park it on the road? Is there really an advantage to it I’m missing? 02’ kit road ranger

Attachments

• 28C88E62-4090-4C85-BDBA-1641D0A6502B.jpeg
    28C88E62-4090-4C85-BDBA-1641D0A6502B.jpeg
    822.8 KB · Views: 45
That thing is probably robbing you of needed tongue weight causing the trailer to handle badly. Not to mention dealing with the added overhang. Some strorage on the rear is ok, but that looks like way too much and I’d get rid of it.

That thing is probably robbing you of needed tongue weight causing the trailer to handle badly. Not to mention dealing with the added overhang. Some strorage on the rear is ok, but that looks like way too much and I’d get rid of it.
THIS! I'm just an "eyeball engineer", and that's way too much hanging out there. Looks like the support is I-beam, then the box and it's contents. I can see that becoming a disaster in the making at speed.
(But then, I'm a fair bit cautious when it comes to things like this.)

Roger

That extended space behind your axles will be a problem on tow handling, minor dips in roadways, and backing on anything other than level ground. I would remove it.

also the frame wasn’t designed or intended to carry that much weight that far back, so it could end up damaging whatever part of the frame it attaches to.

Lose that monstrosity before someone gets hurt.

That looks like a drunk neighbor who sort of welds and had his 12th beer convinced the previous owner to let him add storage to the frame! That is causing the tail to wag the dog my friend! Get if off there now!

Latest resources

Back