• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can a 2017 Pilot pull this?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When it was first introduced to the market.....?

I should add to that.....Honda makes great motorcycles, I have a Goldwing, and great reliable vehicles. But they are not heavy duty in anything.

Because $30K pickup trucks now cost $70K and you can't buy an 8 passenger truck for $42K like you can an SUV from several manufacturers.

When did a Pilot become a "toy"?
The Pilot isn't $42k any more either...

The Pilot isn't $42k any more either...
A very well equipped one isn't, I don't buy vehicles filled with high margin, fragile gadgets.
Screenshot 2023-10-18 8.45.06 AM.png

My buddy bought a new AWD Pilot a couple of years ago to pull a 20' trailer. He did one trip then sold it and bought a half ton truck. Said the car was just not designed to tow much of anything. Braking would be a major concern for me.

My buddy bought a new AWD Pilot a couple of years ago to pull a 20' trailer. He did one trip then sold it and bought a half ton truck. Said the car was just not designed to tow much of anything. Braking would be a major concern for me.
If you have your trailer brakes set up correctly, the tow vehicle will be stopping very little additional weight besides itself, the trailer brakes will will stop the trailer. If he didn't have them set up correctly, he's in the firm majority. An F250 is needed for a two seater Jetski, for a three seater an F450 is the minimum required to pull it safely. Skill is acquired, sadly many skip the acquisition step and blame equipment, tools, software, others, etc. when everything is less than perfect.

Waiting for a reasonably priced car, SUV, truck or whatever often requires an honest dealership (price gouging = non-honest) and a willingness to wait for what you want to be built. The manufacturers know that people don't have patience and want their XYZ now even if it makes for an XYZ with more failure opportunities at 25% greater cost.

That's an assumption on your part, not a bad guess generally. But you don't know the other party. Honda's in general are not meant to tow. I would be more concerned with frontal area dragging down the drive train with wind load.

A very well equipped one isn't, I don't buy vehicles filled with high margin, fragile gadgets.
View attachment 21269
We needed one with captain's chairs in the second row for our kids, which naturally only come in the high end trims. Our 2022 Touring was about $53k USD.

Because $30K pickup trucks now cost $70K and you can't buy an 8 passenger truck for $42K like you can an SUV from several manufacturers.

When did a Pilot become a "toy"?
My late wife called full size PU's real trucks!!! That would imply everything smaller is a toy!

I was given a ranger once. She advertised it and found a 1500 and gifted it to me. Her comment was if you want a truck get one!!!
Her logic was hard to argue!!!

A pony will pull a cart for a short distance and a Ox will pull a cart forever. Just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Latest resources

Back