• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can a 2017 Pilot pull this?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If the actual combined weight of the trailer and Pilot are at or under the GCWR of the pilot, then theoretically you are good to go. I would never tow at max capacity unless it was for a short trip and I was considering it moving the trailer and not traveling with it.

It sounds like this the case for you. So if that’s true, with the above mentioned caveats, treat it like moving (transporting) the trailer, taking the appropriate precautions, and get it there. But don’t let that lull you into thinking all is well and you can just hit the road because eventually you’ll find your limitations rather than knowing them - an unpleasant situation to be sure.

My opinion (and that’s all it is) is that a Pilot towing a 28’ trailer is a roll over waiting to happen. But that doesn’t mean it can’t move the trailer from point A to point B - just that you’d be well advised to keep in mind that that you are pushing the limits and take any and all precautions you can. Know how to use the trailer brakes to regain control when it gets out of shape, keep your speed down, and don’t over-correct when things get wonky.

Also do some test drives on secondary roads before you hit the highway. But the biggest things is speed - the faster you go, the less time you’ll have to respond to issues, and the quicker things can get out of shape. Once they do, all you have is your skills and experience and that may or may not be enough.
You also have to look at the tongue weight of the trailer and the GVWR/payload capacity of the tow vehicle. That's usually going to limit you before the GCWR/towing capacity and trailer weight do.

Question:why are people always trying to pull trailers with " toy cars/SUVs?

My opinion is no. Even with the trailer empty your pushing 5000lb. After clothes and gear it will be over 5000lbs. Not safe and if in accident your insurance could deny a claim based on being overweight.

Question:why are people always trying to pull trailers with " toy cars/SUVs?
Good marketing pitch from the manufactures. All the commercials show little SUV's towing small water craft or a couple of dirt bikes. Something with no aerodynamic load.

The 28' is out. We're now looking at a 21'. Thank you for the wisdom!

I think its truck drivers that believe SUVs shouldn't pull trailers. If I owned an enormous pickup, I'd probably be in that camp! 😄

Have a tongue scale coming today. Everyone (and even Honda) says if your tongue is over/under weight or not between 10 and 15%, adjust your cargo. If I can keep gross trailer under 5 and tongue 10-15% (and it's not windy) its a go. Otherwise a smaller trailer it is!

Had the same question with the Jeep Liberty we had.

By the numbers it was more than capable of towing various things.

In reality, when you tried, it ended up being unstable. Combination of the vehicle height, wheelbase, etc. The info came from various people that tried towing things and the combination was about unable to be controlled.

Just additional info for you - sometimes even if the numbers all work out, it may not be a good combination overall.

Good luck and stay safe.

The 28' is out. We're now looking at a 21'. Thank you for the wisdom!

I think its truck drivers that believe SUVs shouldn't pull trailers. If I owned an enormous pickup, I'd probably be in that camp! 😄

Have a tongue scale coming today. Everyone (and even Honda) says if your tongue is over/under weight or not between 10 and 15%, adjust your cargo. If I can keep gross trailer under 5 and tongue 10-15% (and it's not windy) its a go. Otherwise a smaller trailer it is!
I was just coming on to say that the previous combo would be a hard no in my opinion. I'm glad you've pivoted to a safer option.
I tow a 21' 4500 dry weight trailer with a Dodge Durango Hemi (8 cylinder, factory tow package =7400 tow capacity). I tend to travel alone and pack pretty light, but I will tell you, I can feel it when the tanks are full, and I would not tow it that way for long! I also have to be super cautious about loading, because the max tongue weight for my vehicle is 720lb. (I've passed for now on adding a second battery and upgrading the mattress based on that!) Also, when I consider the tongue weight as part of my vehicles total payload capacity, it limits what I carry. So I'd say even with the smaller trailer, you'll have to keep all of this in mind.

Relative of ours had a 28 foot trailer they towed with an SUV.

The tow vehicle was a hemi Grand Cherokee Jeep.

More than capable by the numbers for what they were towing.

Depending on the wind, semis going by, etc it was a “white knuckle” experience at times going down the road.

Personally I’d go with a pickup for towing if we went that way.

What everyone is saying without saying it is that wheelbase plays a more important role then payload or pulling capacity. This applies to jacked up short bed truck as well. I have seen about everything you can imagine going down the road.

Latest resources

Back