Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NickMDal

RVF Newbee
Hi. We have a 2017 Honda Pilot EX AWD with the full towing packing including trans cooler. The trailer below seems to be within specs but feeling "little SUV big trailer." I am very safety conscious. Even though it appears within specs, I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts.

2021 Gulf Stream Kingsport Ultra Lite 248BH specs and literature guide

This lists at 3900 lbs with a 500 lb tongue. Our model specs are 5000 and 500 tongue. However, it's a whopping 28 feet long. We will connect to full hookup so it will travel empty.

We've pulled smaller trailers with our former 2002 4WD Pilot many times. This is our first with the 2017. It's only making a 20 mile round trip but on the highway.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

correction: former was 2007 4WD. Only Phoebe and I in Pilot. ~200 lbs. stuff in trailer. Possibly one kayak on Pilot roof :)

What kind of hills & traffic are you likely to encounter? How many times will you make this round trip? That thing's going to be pushing A LOT of air at highway speeds and I would imagine 55 might be a safe max speed. The Honda will absolutely do it once, maybe even 100 times but sooner or later you're likely to have something on that Pilot disagree with pulling that combination of weight, size and speed.

That 500 lbs tongue weight that they quote is definitely the dry weight. By the time you add battery, weight distributing hitch, propane and all the gear in the front compartment of your trailer, not to mention the rest of the trailer, you'll be well over that. I say no go.

We're in Dallas so mostly flat. I have a tongue weight scale. Planning to load some gear into the rear and weigh tongue. If it's over, that's that :rolleyes:

I do not know the tow specs on the Pilot. Seems like a lot for it to me.

If the actual combined weight of the trailer and Pilot are at or under the GCWR of the pilot, then theoretically you are good to go. I would never tow at max capacity unless it was for a short trip and I was considering it moving the trailer and not traveling with it.

It sounds like this the case for you. So if that’s true, with the above mentioned caveats, treat it like moving (transporting) the trailer, taking the appropriate precautions, and get it there. But don’t let that lull you into thinking all is well and you can just hit the road because eventually you’ll find your limitations rather than knowing them - an unpleasant situation to be sure.

My opinion (and that’s all it is) is that a Pilot towing a 28’ trailer is a roll over waiting to happen. But that doesn’t mean it can’t move the trailer from point A to point B - just that you’d be well advised to keep in mind that that you are pushing the limits and take any and all precautions you can. Know how to use the trailer brakes to regain control when it gets out of shape, keep your speed down, and don’t over-correct when things get wonky.

Also do some test drives on secondary roads before you hit the highway. But the biggest things is speed - the faster you go, the less time you’ll have to respond to issues, and the quicker things can get out of shape. Once they do, all you have is your skills and experience and that may or may not be enough.

How Much Can the Pilot Tow? The towing capacity for the Honda Pilot is 3,500-5,000 pounds. For the Pilot, there isn't really a range for towing capability, it's simply two options. The 2-Wheel-Drive trim models have a capacity of 3,500 pounds, while the All-Wheel-Drive models' towing capacity is 5,000 pounds.

Those spec's on the trailer were definitely written by the marketing dept. Dry weight means nothing when figuring tow capacity of vehicle. You want Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer. That should be on a sticker on the trailer. We can approximate the GVWR by adding the dry weight to the listed payload capacity of the trailer. That comes to 7500 pounds. That means you can load the trailer with cargo such that the total weight of the trailer is 7500 points and be within the manufacturer rating. Tongue weight of 10 to 15% and you may have 750 to 1125 pounds fully loaded.

Everyone is surprised by how much weight they load in cargo. Just pick up a fully loaded cloths basket and weigh it. Weigh each grocery bag you haul in from the store etc. Adds up fast.

Definite no from me on the Pilot for this trailer.

Latest resources

Back