• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ceiling Lights

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Maybe they crimped on the insulation, and only few strands carried the load?
I almost bought a new bathroom fan because of poor crimp on a spade connector.

I wonder if they are rubbing against the side where the labels are. Is that a sharp edge?

My guess is they did a lousy stripping job and nicked the wires!

Wires and storage, don't do well together. If you aren't disturbing the Wires you likely have nothing to worry about.

I have found a wire crimped into a spade connector with no casing stripped back.....makes you wonder about human intelligence.

The mobile tech could not figure out why it happened. He fixed the wire and for now it's a mystery. It doesn't appear to be getting hot. Thinking I'll add another smoke detector back there to join the family of four detectors that I already have in the coach - just in case. 😳
It was probably a bad crimp connection. A bad connect will get hot and catch on fire. I had the same thing happen to me in my house. I had a connection at a wall socket that was not tightness down when installed. It worked fine for about 8 years! Then one day I smelled smoke and saw the socket smoldering. Breaker did not pop because it did not reach the 20 amp threshold.

IMG_0403.jpeg
Here is what a bad crimp on a Spade connector did to my water heater.

I took out the fuse. Had a scary moment as the KIB panel went completely dead after I put the fuse back in so I did it again and it came back on.

Newmar's wiring has been an issue for some time now..

One of my previous newmar's more than adecade ago, had an elec gremlin for some 2 yrs. Repeated visits to the factory and locally had failed to resolve the issue. When I had just about had it, one of the middle upper people got a hold of me and offered to send their driver to my place (Ohio) to p/u the coach and take it back to the factory to resolve the issue. At least back then, they still had integrity. The unit was at the ol' bldg42 for 3 weeks. From what I was told, just about every one worked on it till they found the problem.

There was a bundle of wires inside the door frame. In that bundle there was a 12v hot wire that wasn't going any where. The end had fallen and occasionally the wire would make contact with the door frame and blow out the fuse. That tookout a bunch of 12v services.

From your description above, I wonder if there may be a short SOME WHERE. It could be an occasional short which took out your fuse and when you inserted the new fuse at the 'WRONG' time, it blow the wire. **IF** some wire is exposed, it'll blow out the fuse again.. just heads up.

Why the newmar wiring has become a mess? If you have been to the factory you've likely seen it.. When the frame is built on the chassis and the coach moves over to the wiring station, the worker grabs a bunch of wires, of the spool and drags them from the front of the coach thru the unit. Different wires get secured in different part of the body for their intended use (appliances, outlets, etc..). Later, when the appliances,outlets, etc are installed, the original wire maybe short. The next worker may have to add additional wire for the last mile. Sometimes, those wires are different color and even different gauge. Its an assembly line and things need to move. The patched wire and the crimp may not always be done properly. One place to observe this, may be in your power compartment. Remove the panel covering the circuit board, where the Batt Solenoid and various other elec components are located and you may find examples of such patched up wires.

You can see the oem pink wire patched to a brown wire going to the Batt solenoid. Even the gauge appear different. There other examples you can look for yourself. sometimes, the wires are of the same gauge and color and others are not.

Attachments

• Solenoid (1).jpg
    Solenoid (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • PowerCompartment.jpg
    PowerCompartment.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
Or a common diagnosis today, "brain fog "

Wow, I do not think the burning wires would have opened the door, were any fuses burnt? If not it’s even more concerning. Were any of the wire lugs loose when the tech removed them?

Wow, I do not think the burning wires would have opened the door, were any fuses burnt? If not it’s even more concerning. Were any of the wire lugs loose when the tech removed them?
That would scare the hell out of me!

Latest resources

Back