Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Ceramic coating worth it or not?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Every time you prep the paint, you are removing some of the clear coat. That is the entire reason I do this once--and then ceramic coat it over. The paint prep takes 40 hours. The coating process for the entire coach takes 4 hours per layer, and has no scrubbing, no muscle work...just a wipe on, wipe off. This is the advantage of advanced materials. Aviation has been using ceramics for years now, as it holds up much better. There are a lot of myths about what ceramics can do or cannot do.

Think of ceramics as a longer lasting wax, that if you maintain it properly, you never have to strip off. Its a wax that once it is applied protects the hard work of paint correction and protects the clear coat--just like a wax. Unlike a wax, it doesn't wash off.

@redbaron Thank you for that write up. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about ceramic coatings as this is a fairly new approach in the detailing world as many have shifted from paint correction wax/sealant to ceramic coatings in the past 5+ years. I have run into some detailers that won't do wax or sealants anymore as coatings are more lucrative for them given the high price point. The ceramic coating qualities themselves have evolved as well and there is not one that doesn't say they are better than the competition.

The biggest challenge as I see it is finding a qualified individual that is experienced in paint correction first and foremost because that is not trivial to do and then the application of the coating. You mess up the coating application and it is nothing short of a pain to unravel it I have read.

An interesting counterpoint is I was chatting with Andrew Steele a couple of weeks ago and he came from a detailing background and he is not sold on ceramic coatings. He is not detailing anymore but he felt that you could do fairly well with good quality paint correction and waxing and save some money in the process as long as you followed good wash procedures and keeping the coach clean while having it detailed and waxed by an professional. Of course if someone wanted to do it themselves they could.

If my memory still works right, you had a few Mecum auction detailers that you found do the work I think over the course of days. How did you find them?

If you wanted to get REALLY trick, Sherwin Williams offers a paint that with a additive they add especially for concrete mixing trucks, you literally rinse it off with a hose. NOTHING will stick to it. Of course it is about $3,000.00 per gallon, so just a little bit pricey. The finish is so hard that it increases the strength of the Abrams tank skin.

Go to an auction early, and find the staging area where cars are being prepped. You will be able to observe the work of many different detailers, and see their attention to detail.

Maybe we can coerce @ARD to get hers done and get a 3 bus price with your team? Your neighbors won't mind right? ;) I am forbidden to go to a Mecum auction because the DW feels I will come home with the bus pulling a new stacker and an automobile inside.

Sheridan,

I just had my 2015 Newell professionally detailed, and posted a video on the FB group. It got a lot of comments and praises, just off of a video.

I went through a long (year's worth) of research and deliberation along with interviews of the best detailers. My decision came down to the fact I had a 7 year old coach and, even though it looks stunning, I knew it would need correction. Also, I never know where I'll be in a year or two, in terms of keeping or selling this baby. So, would I REALLY gain something by spending over double? Also, we store INDOORS and keep it clean.

So, with all these factors, we made the decision to use a special new technology COATING, NOT just a wax. Yes, coatings have evolved just like paint!!! So, don't listen to those who'll just tell ya to use good old Turtle Wax or Mop-n-Shine like they've used for 5o years...that's BS! I used a Pro name Kyle from XTREME DETAILING and he's been around the country doing training and professional shop setups, as well as being on the Air Force 1 detailing team. He's got contracts with DELTA and has had products made with his name. I trust his expertise and, believe it or not, he 100% agreed that ceramic wasn't the best choice for "ME" and "OUR COACH".

His team spent 2 days of prep and application. The product he uses actually has a base of ceramic in it, and is a spray on. It's mind-blowing how good it looks!!

I think that IDA is one of the organizations he teaches for. But just be cautious of other "find your detailer" services such as Ceramics Pro...because that's nothing more than an ad service and is FILLED with HACKS who will ruin your paint job! You've heard it, that Paint Correction is PARAMOUNT...but I know someone who actually had to strip his entire coach of all the ceramic coating that wasn't applied correctly and do it all over again!

Fwiw..I would not use ceramic pro. There are many superior products now. 3 years ago it was the best. Now it's not even top 10.

Fwiw..I would not use ceramic pro. There are many superior products now. 3 years ago it was the best. Now it's not even top 10.
How long should you wait for new paint job to cure before applying a ceramic coating?

For basf...90 days.

For most cars 30 days is long enough.

Latest resources

Back