Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Look here

Look here

Thank you, Kevin. I did visit this before but since you sent the link I took a closer look. There is another version in-between the LA only and the Lithium auto sense. It is the 8955 lis. This must be the one mentioned by the earlier poster. You probably have to dig for it because the manufacture has moved onto Auto-sense. Maybe the reason I don't remember the switch is that it is behind the face plate. The other poster mentioned a toothpick size hole. I see now how you could slide a toothpick up from the side of the plastic cutout and flip the switch. I would guess this is the model I have as I only see post about the lead battery model from years before 2015.
Either way I have options to upgrade it.
Now I have to figure out battery size and how big I can go with this converter. Can I put a smaller battery in the battery box and run a wire to a bigger one? Can I wire the Solar charger to one or both Batteries. This would be nice as the then Genset, shore power, alternator and solar would all be options for charging. I think Airconditioning and Microwave only operate on Shore or Genset power. I could add a large inverter to larger battery bank and plug shore power plug into it. Maybe? I am getting an education and staring to understand how this stuff work. On another topic. This web site asks to do push notification. Do those come through just when you are logged in? Thanks Again for the info!!!!

I keep reading about a switch but don't remember seeing any. I did find a converter upgrade that can be done that has battery auto sensing, but some said they preferred the switch because solar charger was causing problems with the auto sensing type. Is yours a

WFCO WF-8955. Do you have a picture of the Switch?​

Thank you for the Information!!!
No picture handy. I found the info in the convertor owner's manual that came with the camper. If I get out there, I will try to get the info you want.

Thank you, Kevin. I did visit this before but since you sent the link I took a closer look. There is another version in-between the LA only and the Lithium auto sense. It is the 8955 lis. This must be the one mentioned by the earlier poster. You probably have to dig for it because the manufacture has moved onto Auto-sense. Maybe the reason I don't remember the switch is that it is behind the face plate. The other poster mentioned a toothpick size hole. I see now how you could slide a toothpick up from the side of the plastic cutout and flip the switch. I would guess this is the model I have as I only see post about the lead battery model from years before 2015.
Either way I have options to upgrade it.
Now I have to figure out battery size and how big I can go with this converter. Can I put a smaller battery in the battery box and run a wire to a bigger one? Can I wire the Solar charger to one or both Batteries. This would be nice as the then Genset, shore power, alternator and solar would all be options for charging. I think Airconditioning and Microwave only operate on Shore or Genset power. I could add a large inverter to larger battery bank and plug shore power plug into it. Maybe? I am getting an education and staring to understand how this stuff work. On another topic. This web site asks to do push notification. Do those come through just when you are logged in? Thanks Again for the info!!!!
Dissimilar batteries on the same system are asking for problems. I am sure if you search this website you will find a good explanation as to why.

As far as pushing notifications I always say no! Don't really understand it, and don't like things that are to convenient. Neal can answer that question.

You can setup your circuits however you want. As systems go mine is simple. My house cord plugs into My inverter. My AC plugs directly into the generator or pedestal( I was plugged into the grid for two months once, that was ample!). Because it is a window unit, I could plug it into the house and supplement the solar, but I would rather travel to a more moderate temperature.

When I had one, My converter was plugged into the generator via an extension cord to avoid a feedback loop.

I am the brain behind the system, so I am also the grunt that must configure it when nessisary. I find it much less troubling!

When you have solidified what you want, then you can get real answers for the methods, and equipment to get there.

Always know that you can get answers here. While exploring the possibilities, and while sourcing equipment!

No picture handy. I found the info in the convertor owner's manual that came with the camper. If I get out there, I will try to get the info you want.
My convertor is a Progressive Dynamics PD4500. When looking at it the dip switch is just about in the lower right corner. It is called Output Mode Switch.

Might I add!

If I were ever planning to connect to the grid! I would invest in a inverter/charger. That eliminates the following, because it is included in one box!!!

Transfer switch
Converter

It is My understanding that the inverter in these units are low frequency/low voltage inverters. Although they are heavier, bigger, and more expensive. They are also the BEST money can buy, and will outlast the low end garbage 10 times.

I have such an inverter without the charging capability, and the reason has been stated in the lines above. Don't ask the brand! Because I built it from parts.

No picture handy. I found the info in the convertor owner's manual that came with the camper. If I get out there, I will try to get the info you want

Thanks John but I found one online. Looks like it is partially hidden behind the face plate. Probably why I don't remember seeing it. I can swap out converter module if I don't have it. After reading online about the auto sense I think I would rather have the switch. I think you are correct that it's the older units that don't have the option to charge lithium.

Dissimilar batteries on the same system are asking for problems. I am sure if you search this website you will find a good explanation as to why.

As far as pushing notifications I always say no! Don't really understand it, and don't like things that are to convenient. Neal can answer that question.

You can setup your circuits however you want. As systems go mine is simple. My house cord plugs into My inverter. My AC plugs directly into the generator or pedestal( I was plugged into the grid for two months once, that was ample!). Because it is a window unit, I could plug it into the house and supplement the solar, but I would rather travel to a more moderate temperature.

When I had one, My converter was plugged into the generator via an extension cord to avoid a feedback loop.

I am the brain behind the system, so I am also the grunt that must configure it when nessisary. I find it much less troubling!

When you have solidified what you want, then you can get real answers for the methods, and equipment to get there.

Always know that you can get answers here. While exploring the possibilities, and while sourcing equipment!
When you say "Dissimilar batteries", do you mean Lead & Lithium or two different amp hour ratings? I was thinking the largest lithium I could fit in the battery box and then chained to another larger Lithium(s).

Might I add!

If I were ever planning to connect to the grid! I would invest in a inverter/charger. That eliminates the following, because it is included in one box!!!

Transfer switch
Converter

It is My understanding that the inverter in these units are low frequency/low voltage inverters. Although they are heavier, bigger, and more expensive. They are also the BEST money can buy, and will outlast the low end garbage 10 times.

I have such an inverter without the charging capability, and the reason has been stated in the lines above. Don't ask the brand! Because I built it from parts.
Looking at and trying to figure out "

Victron Energy MultiPlus-II 2X Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger for 120 amp Battery, 120V, 3000VA 12-Volt" Lots of money for my little 22xg but very impressive" I still need to feed the Converter supply leads to supply the 12-volt appliances. If I hook the coach converter up to the battery bank, I need to disable the alternator charging leads. Is this possible? The MultiPlus does have a hookup for the alternator and for the solar charger. This would eliminate the need for a DC to DC charger and still protect the alternator. Sounds like it has some other nice features like handling the shore power and genset power. Even kills or switches power output while Genset warms up or shuts down. It will even combine battery power to other power for startup surges. I downloaded the manual. Will have to read a few times to make sure it is within my abilities. Probably just have to research the terminology that is new to me. When I figure I don't need an inverter and a dc-dc charger it adds about $600. Might be the way to go. Lots of high tech for my little 22xg. I'll check online for reviews and install advice. I saw these before, but the price and specs were intimidating so I passed them buy. Thanks for pointing out those benefits!​

Looking at and trying to figure out "

Victron Energy MultiPlus-II 2X Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger for 120 amp Battery, 120V, 3000VA 12-Volt" Lots of money for my little 22xg but very impressive" I still need to feed the Converter supply leads to supply the 12-volt appliances. If I hook the coach converter up to the battery bank, I need to disable the alternator charging leads. Is this possible? The MultiPlus does have a hookup for the alternator and for the solar charger. This would eliminate the need for a DC to DC charger and still protect the alternator. Sounds like it has some other nice features like handling the shore power and genset power. Even kills or switches power output while Genset warms up or shuts down. It will even combine battery power to other power for startup surges. I downloaded the manual. Will have to read a few times to make sure it is within my abilities. Probably just have to research the terminology that is new to me. When I figure I don't need an inverter and a dc-dc charger it adds about $600. Might be the way to go. Lots of high tech for my little 22xg. I'll check online for reviews and install advice. I saw these before, but the price and specs were intimidating so I passed them buy. Thanks for pointing out those benefits!​

When it comes to Price consider this.

A cheap what's known as an auto inverter has a high frequency step up DC to DC converter. It has small transformers because at high frequency more efficiently (less iron,less copper)! This reduces cost in comparison to what you are looking at now. The unit you are looking at has a 115vac 60 Hz commercial grade transformer that will last, well a life time, unless you abuse it.

The auto inverter has one big problem! They don't make High power diodes that work well with high frequency! Using the Best of the Best, still has a life expectancy of 1.5 to 2 years, when on All the time!

You may get different results, this is from an engineering standpoint.

Then it is switched by high power FETs for your AC power frequency!

On the unit you are now considering, the diodes that cause the problem are eliminated because there is no conversion between a frequency and DC!

The H bridge responsible for converting DC to AC is running at 60hz, and at system voltage (12 to 48 volts typically). This reduces shock to the solid state devices that are doing the work! Expected Life expectancy? 10+ years.

Multiplying the lower priced unit by (on the short side) 5, plus All other expenses make for an easy decision 😉.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back