• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Check engine 1 & low DEF warning

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OMG I assumed this had been resolved already and I’d just missed the update. You guys have been parked this entire time?! Did you fly home or just camp and wait? That would be a long time to wait at a service center. Maybe someone needs to start a DSS rental service.
Redding is about 250 miles north of our home so we packed up what we could and took the Jeep toad home. This Freightliner dealer has zero hookups and will not allow living in the coach on their property. Obviously not an “Oasis” dealer. We sincerely hope that maybe by next week we can get our baby back on the road. By then it will have been close to a month since the derate. It is what it is……unfortunately.

Oof, I am sorry to hear that. If it had to happen to you, I am glad it happened reasonably close to home. Hopefully they’re get that assembly swapped out quickly and that’ll be the end of this for you.

Last edited:
Oof, I am sorry to hear that. If it had to happen to you, I am glad it happened reasonably close to home. Hopefully they’re get that assembly swapped out quickly and that’ll be the end of this for you.
The additional warning signals happened very quickly, not what we were told or had read would happen. We were extremely lucky that we were within about a block of a truck fuel station with lots of room. What was really crazy lucky is that they had an on site dump for rvs, so we were able to clean our tanks? We also always carry a good sized folding ice chest just in case. Until now, we had never used it. We were able to clean out the refrigerator, and get everything home ok. What a mess, and a ruined trip! Judy D

I'm working on a northern trip for you now. I know of a few GREAT places. You'll need a few things...I'll get that Amazon list over to you soon :)

@J&JD Were you denied the Cummins software "temporary calibration" that is suppose to available when derated for DEF head failure and new DEF head is not available? Here is an article that speaks to the Cummins "temporary calibration. Just curious, My assumption was that if I derate and no parts are available the Cummins fix would be installed to get me back on the road until parts were available. Seems you may have a different experience.

I'm working on a northern trip for you now. I know of a few GREAT places. You'll need a few things...I'll get that Amazon list over to you soon :)
Haha………Not???

@J&JD Were you denied the Cummins software "temporary calibration" that is suppose to available when derated for DEF head failure and new DEF head is not available? Here is an article that speaks to the Cummins "temporary calibration. Just curious, My assumption was that if I derate and no parts are available the Cummins fix would be installed to get me back on the road until parts were available. Seems you may have a different experience.
Not yet available for our year. They are working backwards with the patch?

The parts were found & available. However, the Freightliner dealer where we were towed is so shorthanded that it took two weeks just to get the codes read. The parts have been at the shop since Wednesday am but the coach is just sitting waiting for a tech to work on it. We are a bit stuck and are at their mercy.

Last edited:
Update on DEF head replacement.
Finally, tomorrow, we are headed to the Redding Freightliner dealer to pick up our coach after 5 weeks to replace the faulty DEF head. This might sound a bit extreme to some but I purchased a spare DEF head on line to carry with us as a spare. So sad experiences like this have to happen as they sure put a damper on the rv life style.
Sure hope our DS is ok…..

May the spare gather gather dust for centuries to come!

Latest resources

Back