• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Check engine 1 & low DEF warning

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
That does suck. Best of luck in getting back on the road!

@J&JD where are you? Did this get fixed? Did you continue on your south east adventure?

@Neal,Thanks for asking. We were actually headed for Bend/Sisters Oregon, made it to Eureka Ca where we totally derated after Freightliner told us all would be fine to continue even though we had engine warning signs. After sitting over night waiting to be towed 140 miles to a Freightliner dealer in Redding Ca. the coach sat for two weeks before a qualified tech even looked at it. Just today we were told that we had the dreaded bad DEF head/sensors (which we knew all along), Part has been ordered…..not available ! As far as we are concerned, Freightliner has been seriously lacking in customer care/satisfaction. Don’t know when our coach will again be useable. ????????

WOW! Thought there was a recent software fix to override the derating? Good luck

The temporary software fix is only available for DEF tank level, DEF tank temperature, DEF quality. Freightliner cannot install the software for any other check engine codes.

The temporary software fix is only available for DEF tank level, DEF tank temperature, DEF quality. Freightliner cannot install the software for any other check engine codes.
Sounds pretty worthless to me then. I incorrectly assumed the whole point of the patch was going to be to eliminate derates for motorhomes.

No idea what good this patch would do for the DEF head issues.

Update on DEF head:
Received word today from Redding Freightliner Parts that they were able to locate a complete tank/header assembly in Tennessee, overnighted the part and now have it in hand. Kudos to the parts guys who couldn’t find the head only but found and ordered the complete assembly. Now, we shall see how long it takes service to find a tech to repair the coach since it took two weeks just to get fault codes read…..

Update on DEF head:
Received word today from Redding Freightliner Parts that they were able to locate a complete tank/header assembly in Tennessee, overnighted the part and now have it in hand. Kudos to the parts guys who couldn’t find the head only but found and ordered the complete assembly. Now, we shall see how long it takes service to find a tech to repair the coach since it took two weeks just to get fault codes read…..
Glad to hear things are looking up!

@J&JD That's good news. I can't believe how long they waited to order the part. So sorry. Hopefully, they will have you up and running soon, so y'all can get in lots of good, fun trouble. ?

OMG I assumed this had been resolved already and I’d just missed the update. You guys have been parked this entire time?! Did you fly home or just camp and wait? That would be a long time to wait at a service center. Maybe someone needs to start a DSS rental service.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back