• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Checklists ARE important

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Recently started coach, waited for pop off valve, brought slides in, disconnected electrics, locked and checked basement doors, proceeded to pull out of site to hook up the toad. Problem was coach never went to ride height, now I’ve added that to checklist, visually inspect at ride height. Pop off valve is not the indicator of ride height.
@NWIP , A nuance I’ve noted with mine is if I manually dump air, the travel mode indicator remains lit. When I start the coach, the pop off valve does it’s thing, but it’s not until I take the parking brake off that the “travel mode” light goes off and air begins to inflate the bags. These coaches are weird.

Checklists ARE important, as @Neal says. And, it is important to ALWAYS use them, even when you think you don’t need to. I just learned that lesson the hard way.

After the recent windshield replacement was completed on Friday morning, our coach was delivered to the RV parking area. I asked if I could delay my departure for 3-4 hours as we were only going a short distance and the destination park check-in time wasn’t until 2:00 pm. I was told that would be fine and was asked if I wanted them to plug the coach into power until I was ready to leave. I said “no, the coach will be fine without power for 3-4 hours.”

You can see it coming…right? Yep…the tech that delivered the coach didn’t get the message and, trying to be helpful, plugged the coach in. I didn’t do a FULL checklist and walk-around before departing (assuming that it was ready-to-go) and dragged the power cord about a half mile. Fortunately, I stopped at an adjacent T/A for fuel and discovered the problem. The cable wasn’t badly damaged and after a little straightening of the prongs, it was fine. Had I not stopped for fuel, however, I would have arrived at the next destination with a frayed piece of electrical cable trailing me.

I have now resolved to do a full walk-around EVERY TIME prior to moving the coach. It will be the final item on my checklist, printed in LARGE, BOLD LETTERS!

TJ

Checklists ARE important, as @Neal says. And, it is important to ALWAYS use them, even when you think you don’t need to. I just learned that lesson the hard way.

After the recent windshield replacement was completed on Friday morning, our coach was delivered to the RV parking area. I asked if I could delay my departure for 3-4 hours as we were only going a short distance and the destination park check-in time wasn’t until 2:00 pm. I was told that would be fine and was asked if I wanted them to plug the coach into power until I was ready to leave. I said “no, the coach will be fine without power for 3-4 hours.”

You can see it coming…right? Yep…the tech that delivered the coach didn’t get the message and, trying to be helpful, plugged the coach in. I didn’t do a FULL checklist and walk-around before departing (assuming that it was ready-to-go) and dragged the power cord about a half mile. Fortunately, I stopped at an adjacent T/A for fuel and discovered the problem. The cable wasn’t badly damaged and after a little straightening of the prongs, it was fine. Had I not stopped for fuel, however, I would have arrived at the next destination with a frayed piece of electrical cable trailing me.

I have now resolved to do a full walk-around EVERY TIME prior to moving the coach. It will be the final item on my checklist, printed in LARGE, BOLD LETTERS!

TJ
Sometimes you just can’t win @TJ&LadyDi , glad you caught it in time. Best of luck at Premier and let us know how the Girard awning situation resolves itself ( also, hopefully, the engine non shutoff).

Sometimes you just can’t win @TJ&LadyDi , glad you caught it in time. Best of luck at Premier and let us know how the Girard awning situation resolves itself ( also, hopefully, the engine non shutoff).
I was born with Winning Gene Deficiency! I don’t think there is any cure. :ROFLMAO:

Will post what happens with the Girard awing saga. As for the engine non-shut-off, I’m thinking it might be the ignition switch. We had it occur again when we arrived at Guaranty RV Park on Friday. I did the usual on-off cycles to no avail and was about to head for the chassis battery disconnect when I tried something different. With the key in the run position, I turned it lightly toward the start position. I didn’t want to engage the starter with the engine running, so just went to the point where I was feeling the spring tension push back, then let the key return to the run position. The engine turned off. I’ll be telling Premier RV Services about that.

Spartan has given me a phone number for the Premier RV Services tech to call for help in diagnosing the problem. And, they have created a case file to cover the repair under warranty. I’ve told Premier that if the Spartan warranty reimbursement doesn’t cover their full cost, I will pay the balance. I don’t want them to get stuck if the Spartan warranty payment is light.

TJ

Don't forget TJ, a video from your phone can go a long way too in proving a problem occurs.

Don't forget TJ, a video from your phone can go a long way too in proving a problem occurs.
Yeah, I know. And, it is the first thing I forget to do. Instead, I start trying to fix the problem.

TJ

At our age we need a checklist to remind us to use a checklist?.

Latest resources

Back