Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

clayjax

RVF Regular
Hello all. My wife and I are considering buying a class A motorhome. We keep hearing from friends that the Chevy 8.1 liter power train is superior to the Ford. I cannot, however, find a manufacturer that incorporates a Chevy power train. Any ideas anyone? Thank you!

Well I can’t compare either, but the Ford V10 gas has quite a bit of torque and hp. The extra 2 cylinders seen to add a bit of smoothness when under a load. The newer models I believe have a newer transmission with a couple extra gears making them much better.

I too would go for chevy long before I would consider a ford. Truth be told I would not consider a ford for any reason. I just have better luck avoiding ford. If I had to go with ford to have a MH I would buy a real truck and a pull trailer.

All the shows I have been to in the last 5 or so years use a ford drivetrain. but I don't look to buy, but wouldn't buy with ford.

Well, I’m not a brand kind of guy. I’ve had Chevy, Ford, Nissan and all have been good to me. I’m happy with my Ford in the RV. Wonder why you don’t see to many Chevy’s? There is a reason.. :). I realize some people have had problems with any manufacture and all of a sudden the whole brand is bad. In today’s market, reliability is about equal across the board. So choose what you feel comfortable with.

Well, I’m not a brand kind of guy. I’ve had Chevy, Ford, Nissan and all have been good to me. I’m happy with my Ford in the RV. Wonder why you don’t see to many Chevy’s? There is a reason.. :). I realize some people have had problems with any manufacture and all of a sudden the whole brand is bad. In today’s market, reliability is about equal across the board. So choose what you feel comfortable with.
You could be right but ford has always built their vehicles backward in comparison to the other big three. I work on my own and won't work on a ford. The only reason I can see that the RV makers use ford is the fleet purchase mentality. But I don't buy it. If I want a Chevy and the manufacturers don't offer one, they loose my business.

Thank you. But I can’t find a class A Chevy. Any suggestions on a manufacturer that is using Chevy powertrain in a
Class A?

it is all about the american condition. "bigger is better" even if that is not true it is the view that has been sold to american consumers. As long as ford sells v10s that is likely what you will have to buy. Want a chevy? buy and oldy. want a dodge buy even older. they quit trying to build RV chassis for the market years ago. Belive me it has nothing to do with quality, it's about size. ford or freight liner are your current choices and Cummings is ford, so I guess ford is your choice.

Latest resources

Back