• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Class A newbie

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Besides the wipers, today was spent working on batteries. I was expecting a set of 6 volt house batteries, but found four 12 volt deep cycle batteries instead. Labeled everything and yanked all four out. Two were sealed and two (the house batteries) were not. Both were low on water so I filled them up. I work in the fire alarm industry so I have a battery load test tool. Both of the house batteries were flat, one of the sealed had 21ah and the other had 8ah. I broke out my battery charger and hooked it up to one of the house batteries. As I did, I just stood there and realized that these batteries could be ten years old, or older. In my industry we swap out batteries after 5 years as a rule. Anyway, I jumped in the Prius and drove down to Costco expecting to pay $250.00 each. A lot of money, but cheaper than buying a set in BFE. Upon arrival I was tremendously pleased to see they were selling Marine/RV Deep Cycle batteries for only $87.00 a pop! Woot! I'll take four, thank you very much! Got back and swept out the battery compartment and in they went. Wire brushed all the connectors and tightened all the bolts nice and snug. Started right up! Now I just have to learn out the whole house power thing works. I'm feeling a lot more confident about RV ownership. Checked the oil which was at the correct level but sluggy, and the transmission fluid was at the right level as well and really clean. Finally, I was looking through the "glove box" and found a receipt for brake work that was done last month. New front pads, a rotor, both calipers, and some other work. $1,900.00! Ouch! I've really lucked out on this thing!

Besides the wipers, today was spent working on batteries. I was expecting a set of 6 volt house batteries, but found four 12 volt deep cycle batteries instead. Labeled everything and yanked all four out. Two were sealed and two (the house batteries) were not. Both were low on water so I filled them up. I work in the fire alarm industry so I have a battery load test tool. Both of the house batteries were flat, one of the sealed had 21ah and the other had 8ah. I broke out my battery charger and hooked it up to one of the house batteries. As I did, I just stood there and realized that these batteries could be ten years old, or older. In my industry we swap out batteries after 5 years as a rule. Anyway, I jumped in the Prius and drove down to Costco expecting to pay $250.00 each. A lot of money, but cheaper than buying a set in BFE. Upon arrival I was tremendously pleased to see they were selling Marine/RV Deep Cycle batteries for only $87.00 a pop! Woot! I'll take four, thank you very much! Got back and swept out the battery compartment and in they went. Wire brushed all the connectors and tightened all the bolts nice and snug. Started right up! Now I just have to learn out the whole house power thing works. I'm feeling a lot more confident about RV ownership. Checked the oil which was at the correct level but sluggy, and the transmission fluid was at the right level as well and really clean. Finally, I was looking through the "glove box" and found a receipt for brake work that was done last month. New front pads, a rotor, both calipers, and some other work. $1,900.00! Ouch! I've really lucked out on this thing!
Now I know why I never have that kind of luck; you've cornered the market on it. ?

TJ

Latest resources

Back