Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I saw a lot of Class B's during my winter journey out west and see a lot of videos on the subject on my daily YouTube browsing. I wonder what generation are seeking Class B's such as is this the younger generation adventure vehicle? Obviously lower cost is a factor but also the flexibility in not having to use Campgrounds. My perception such as when at Lake Powell watching a Class B roam to different locations daily and possibly parking in sites not paid for (as they kept moving) is RVing and enjoying the RV lifestyle at the lowest cost as a game.

Are Class B owners spending months on end or even fulltiming? My neighbor, once a Class C owner is now talking of a future Class B with some stays actually at a hotel to get a good cleaning at various intervals while on the road.

I can see Class B as the next step from someone that enjoys tent camping but now having the option to live in a climate controlled and safe vehicle.

I look forward to hearing from other Class B owners; past present or future, and sharing what this RV lifestyle is about.

Hi Neal, glad to add to the forum. My wife Mary and I are a youthful 64 and 63 respectively and began with tent camping, then progressed and have had every Class of RV since, many, twice over. So, I am aware of all the inconveniences with having to maintain gensets (and repair), change dead batteries, maintain a quality cover (that dont tear in 2 mos.) over them, tire covers and so on, while it is parked in storage far away from our home. We went with a Class B now because,
1. We wanted to be able to park it in our driveway at home where I can address any maintenance issue any time, at my convenience. 2. Get away from having to hitch and unhitch a travel trailer (our last RV). 3. Only 4 tires to replace, as opposed to six (with the C's). 4. The flexibility it gives us to park it anywhere and go most anywhere. At the park, I can quickly disconnect utilities and make a run to the grocery store if needed. In a way, for us it seemed like a good idea to downsize and still keep some nice creature comforts. In summary, I would say for me the biggest plus is having it in the driveway where I can see it and have the peace of mind that any issues that arise, I dont have to travel far to the storage to access the rig.
Happy Travels!
Mike, Mary and Lucy ? Montano
2019 MAD Legend

67 and 68 and just bought a brand new RoadTrek Zion class B. Storage is an issue but for us the ease of travel, parking, etc won the day. We used to have a Winnebago LeSharo which was one of the original Class B's (1989) and loved it. These newer models are a huge improvement but provide the same convenience of travel.

We are currently researching Class B RV's although it is difficult to do a focused search using specific criteria. We want a double or larger bed that does not have to be folded away during the day and a 8 cu ft fridge and a two-burner cooktop and a head that is more than a porta pottie. Ideally a RV that is no longer than 22 feet.

I have friends that are in their 70's and are actually the people that got me looking at Newmars. They had a Baystar and just traded it in for a Class B. They went to the Class B because after a trip they felt there were so many k-rails and construction going on across the U.S. that they wanted something not as wide/big and they also liked the safety features that came with the Mercedes chassis. I don't think they have been able to take it out much with Covid hitting right when they got it. She did make a comment once that she liked living in the Baystar better but liked the drive-ability of their Class B better. Don't think I can ever give up my Ventana but I wouldn't say I'd never downsize...maybe when I'm really old, but then would possibly consider closing the RV chapter of my life instead...I am just fortunate that my Ventana is my perfect rig for me.

I'm a single woman in my 70's and work full-time remotely (think it doesn't matter where I am as long as I have wifi and cell service). I have had many types of camping equipment over my 50+ years of showing my family how beautiful nature is - everything from tents to Class A's (my last rig). Now that my second family is grown and dispersed across the country, I am planning on buying a Class B in the Spring to work and travel in between stops at family homes. The Class B would allow me to park in someone's driveway (I think bringing one's own bed to a visit is thoughtful) and roam to national parks, BLM lands, etc with an occasional blacktop boondocking. To answer your question about cost, many of the Class B's that I have been looking at are costlier than some A's and C's, so even though the rigs are smaller, they are not cheap by any means. Another big advantage is I don't have to pull a toad - been there, done that.

Those that I know that have one, are active. you know hike, ride bikes, that sort of thing. They find it easer to drive to a trail head than set camp and go from that spot.
Yes they are more expensive for the size. Many will build there own using a sprinter or ram pro of ford ? They want custom and can't find what they want in the build.
it is not the life for one that wants to set up a base. They are for someone that plans to have a place to lay their head at night and be on the go the next morning.

I just ordered my class b and it should be ready in March or April. As a retired, 64 year old woman, I wanted something small that would be easy to drive. I have never towed anything, so didn’t want to start now. I plan on boondocking a lot, so ordered as a 4x4 and lithium batteries. Since I am new to RVing, I am open to suggestions. Recommendations to ease transition?

When living small everything you have if it can be done should have dual propose. That one thing will help you keep weight down and keep living space optimum.

I just ordered my class b and it should be ready in March or April. As a retired, 64 year old woman, I wanted something small that would be easy to drive. I have never towed anything, so didn’t want to start now. I plan on boondocking a lot, so ordered as a 4x4 and lithium batteries. Since I am new to RVing, I am open to suggestions. Recommendations to ease transition?
Where did you order it?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back