Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DSCHIESSER

RVF Newbee
I have a 2011 Monaco Cayman with 7 solar panels and 4 6 volt Coach batteries. I can't even get through one night with just the refrigerator on before they are too low to power it. I had the batteries tested and they are good. Any suggestions on settings or what I'm doing wrong?

I have a 2011 Monaco Cayman with 7 solar panels and 4 6 volt Coach batteries. I can't even get through one night with just the refrigerator on before they are too low to power it. I had the batteries tested and they are good. Any suggestions on settings or what I'm doing wrong?
The 4 batteries are probably connected in series and then parallel, so in essence, you have 2 12v batteries. And the amp storage of those batteries is less than the refrigerator is drawing. For instance, the batteries probably have a few hundred amps storage and the refrigerator is using every bit of that during the night.

Take a look at the batteries and let us know how many amps they have. And then look at the refrigerator and see how many watts it draws. We'll do more math when you get back. :)

Last edited:
Screenshot_20201213-124900_Chrome.jpg

So 2 of the 6 volt batteries are connected together, making a 12 volt battery. The other 2 are connected the same way. That's called series. Then the 2 sets (of what are now 12 volt batteries) are then connected together, positive to positive and negative to negative.

When you connect the batteries in "series" you double the voltage, so the 2-6 volt batteries became a 12 volt battery. The amps remain the same at 400.

When you connect them in parallel, you double the amperage, so you now have a total of 800 amps of storage.

If you look at the sticker on the inside of the refrigerator, you find out how many watts the refrigerator is pulling. We'll need to find all the other things like TV's, fans, lights, and add them to the watts that the refrigerator is pulling. Then we'll convert the wattage into amps used per hour, and we'll see what the total draw on your battery bank is.

Last edited:
As an example, I have a Norcold refrigerator that consumes abound 500 watts each hour. Converted to Amps, (500 watts / 12 volt) it eats up about 40 amps of my battery storage each hour. If I had a total of 800 amps storage, as you do, then I could run my refrigerator for about 19 hours. Note: This is a total amount of amps that are in the battery bank but you shouldn't drain your batteries beyond 50% as it will shorten their life.

If your refrigerator is using the same amount of power as mine, then you should have plenty of reserve power to run your refrigerator all night. So if it's not, then something else is eating away at that reserve power. TV's? Fans? Lights? And the inverter is getting some as well. My inverter is eating about 4 amps every hour it runs, so over a period of 10 hours, I've lost another 40 amps.

Lots of little things added up can make a big difference.

Were the batteries tested under load or just static tested for voltage?

@Jim is spot on regarding checking your electrical draws. There are lots of unseen parasitic draws that add up pretty quickly.

TJ

Another thing, are you sure the batteries are getting fully charged? Are you completely dependent on the solar panels to charge the batteries?

When I had my Class C, it had 2 12 v house batteries and I had a similar problem. Running just a few lights and the fan for a while in addition to the RV refrig, The batteries would be down to 50% by morning. The current A has 6 12 v batteries for the house and residential refrig. When I pull into a truck stop for the night, I automattically turn on the generator and usually just run it all night. Some times I will turn it off at a middle of the night potty trip and then back on in the morning.

You aren't doing anything wrong...

I don't know who or how they tested your batteries. Most places are looking for an acceptable level of amp delivery in a short period of time...and voltage. Deep cycle batteries require a timed discharge test. Golf Cart places probably have this type of equipment. Like TJ mentioned...the type of test is important.

Your rv is basically a timed discharge test when it cannot make it thru the night. But, it doesn't necessarily mean it's your batteries.

Two tools that are useful are a clamp on dc amp meter...and installing a shunt based battery monitor. Clamp meter will help you trace where these amps are going. The battery monitor usually has a user resettable amp counter. You can use this to see what your use is.

Eliminate loads...

Maybe you need to pull everything, clean up the terminals, look for corrosion, check cables and jumpers...proper torque on terminal fasteners. Double check charge parameters. Make sure flooded batteries have proper water levels. Account for temperature effect...does your charger automatically compensate? If not, if you can manually set parameters...they might need tweaking.

If you pull them...might let them sit for about 4 hrs disconnected completely and take individual voltage reading.

Lead chemistry is prone to sulphation...you might recover some capacity by doing a conditioning or equalization charge.

After tracking these things...the bottom line is batteries do lose capacity over time. It may be time. I am, as we speak, am in the middle of replacing my house batteries. My five year old batteries still charge fully, have great resting voltages, but I notice the voltage drop as I use them....drops faster than what was normal before. It takes less than half the night for them to drop to a voltage comparable to 50% charge...whereas I used to be able to make it thru the entire night
..and still be up around 75%...(928aH bank)...and 70% after my espresso machine heated up...

If you park with shore power...you can milk batteries way beyond their intended useful life. Off grid is where we find out it's either time...or we need to check the system thoroughly for trouble spots.

If you see unexpected loads...the load your looking for can be as simple as a dirty connection. The device pulling the power hasn't increased it's appetite...but the connection is probably stealing energy and creating heat. Carefully check temperatures of your cables and connectors...this may be the culprit.

Wish it were easier...but there are many weak points to be on the watch for.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back