• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Code readers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Got my Diesel Handheld equipment in the mail today. Great deal on used unit-looks new with case and cords. Now to figure out how to use it. Checking Youtube. Any suggestions?

Check vendors website and also YouTube as you mentioned. Then, just plug it in and experiment. Learn now so you know when/if it's needed.

Anyone ever try this?
Thanks

Anyone ever try this?
Thanks

Interesting idea.

We have one of the plugin modules to tell the system all is well if needed. May have to track down the speed sensor just in case.

If I have the Diesel Laptop hand held do I need a DEF simulator seeing as I can do a manual regen and reset?

Anyone ever try this?
Thanks

I’ve read about people who tried this a few years ago and it does not work on an auto trans. Well it will prevent the ECM from reading speed, but it will also prevent your transmission from going into gear.

If I have the Diesel Laptop hand held do I need a DEF simulator seeing as I can do a manual regen and reset?
This is apples and oranges as follows:

The DSS will over-ride errant codes from the DEF header. The HD Handheld will clear codes but only if the issue has been resolved. But with the DSS installed the HD Handheld will clear the codes because DSS will make the ECM think the issue is resolved.

Regens occur in the DPF and DEF is injected into the SCR. Since the SCR is AFTER the DPF, regens have no affect on the DEF system. Regens will not resolve a DEF problem but will keep the DPF healthy and happy - a very good idea.

So the short answer is yes - they make a very good pair to keep you on the road.

The DSS will over-ride errant codes from the DEF header.
Minor correction. When the DEF header fails no DEF data is being sent to the ECM. The DEF simulator (DSS) sends simulated data to the ECM which is similar to the data that the DEF header was sending, thus the ECM is happy and the codes will clear by them self after a few engine cycles.

Minor correction. When the DEF header fails no DEF data is being sent to the ECM. The DEF simulator (DSS) sends simulated data to the ECM which is similar to the data that the DEF header was sending, thus the ECM is happy and the codes will clear by them self after a few engine cycles.
OK - same thing I guess in my book. I was in on the beginning of the development of the DSS (at that other place) so I have a working knowledge of it, but at this point I tend to respond in generalities.

But the problems with a bad DEF header can be sending errant info such as an empty tank when it’s not, tank heat above or below normal ranges when it’s in range, or quality above or below, etc. - all that CANbus stuff that is beyond me, but allowed the development and implementation of the DSS.

There are also some negatives about the DSS and you can still end up with the same or similar codes a bad DEF header will cause but from other sources leading to misdiagnosis. But the bottom line is it keeps the ECM happy IF the problem is with one or more of the three sensors on the DEF header.

How can I tell which mfg DEF pump is on my rig? Freightliner 360 -6.7 Cummins built Dec 2018

Latest resources

Back