Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
I know some have installed air doublers in their units to allow them to use onboard air for filling their tires, which is pretty elegant but I have opted to carry a stand-alone compressor which came recommended over on IRV2. Specifically, I carry a Porter Cable 150psi 2scfm Portable Air compressor with an array of air tools. It works well for most jobs but I’m finding it takes forever to bring my tires up to pressure before I hit the road - 6-8 minutes per tire. Usually my front tires are fine but I’ve found before departing that my two of my drive tires - have dropped down to 80 or 90psi from 118psi whenever i arrived, after sitting week.

So, that’s moving a lot of air at a pretty high pressure, I get it but i’m Looking to see if others have found reasonably priced portable compressors that handle this task better.

Also, if you have an air doubler installed in your unit, I’d be interested in hearing about how it performs when bringing your tires back up to pressure.

I use the VIAIR and yes it takes a long time but as you know it's not something you have to do that often.

https://rvforums.com/threads/viair-rv-tire-inflation-portable-tire-inflator.127/

I had an issue with an inner tire dropping excessively, thanks to the shell answer man @Chuggs he nailed it again and suggested it was a loose valve extender. Yep, I torqued it a little tighter and tire pressure maintained. You should not see any significant loss even after weeks of just sitting. Temp/Altitude changes yes, but deflation no.

John, if you're losing 20-40 psi after a week, you apparently have a leak. Are you measuring the 118 psi while the tires are hot and measuring the 80-90 when cold? That could make up for some of the loss but not 40 psi.

No I’m inflating to 118psi cold. Then after sitting for maybe 1-2 weeks at a campground when doing my pre-deployment checks, I always check tire pressure manually on every time. The last two times I’ve done this, 2-3 tires have been at between 80-90psi cold.

I haven’t checked pressures when tires were hot and I’m always doing this around 8-9am in the morning, so they haven’t even been sitting in the sun for long if at all.

Don’t think I have a leak in the form of a puncture but a loose valve makes sense. Will definitely do a thorough inspection when I get back and check pressures again to see where they are after sitting for three days.

Which exact tires are deflating?

Out of curiosity what tire pressures are you setting on all of your tires? 118 seems high and would only be the fronts.

I’m leaning towards loose valve stems, too. My current coach can sit for a couple of months, and maybe I have to add 5 lbs of air.

I have the same compressor...nice little machine.

I'm with you Neal, 118 psi in rear tires sounds extreme.

My pressures are:

Fronts: Chart says 95, I do 100 to be on the + side
Rears: Chart says 75, I do 85 again to be on the + side

Corner weights are ideal, Flying J weights are better than nothing, trust the charts for your tire specifics.

I run 115 in front and 90 in rear duals and tag.

On my DS 4369 I run 110-115 front and 82-85 rear after I did four corner weight check and used the Michelin tire chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back