RV Model
1985 Travel Trailer
RV Length
Engine
Hampster Wheel
Fulltimer
No
Hello,
I just acquired a 2018 Lance 1985 and I want to add some solar panels (probably removable ones) to help keep the battery charged. I see two connections - on the top of the coach is a double male/female connector from GoPower:
rooftop-connector-topview-jpeg.24001
Rooftop connector 45view.jpeg
Rooftop connector endview.jpeg

On the front passenger side below the battery compartment door is another dual jack with no markings:
Battery and External connection.jpeg

I have a few solar panels from Goal Zero and Jackery with male output connectors that appear to be compatible with the female side of the GoPower dual jack on top of the coach. If I didn't have an EE degree, I'd probably just shove it on there and see what happens. But as is too often the case, my degree helps me to know that I would be stupid to do that, but it doesn't help me enough to know what I *should* do! I don't see a charge controller anywhere. The batteries have been upgraded to two 6 volts in series and I don't even know if the connection under the battery door is an input or an output? Hopefully someone out there has some advice! TIA,
Bob

Attachments

• Rooftop connector Topview.jpeg
    Rooftop connector Topview.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
17164222093013477338950020415599.jpg

Attached is a simple explanation ie wiring diagram. With an EE this should make sense,right?

Your multi meter will confirm polarity on the plug terminals.

Hooking the panels directly to the batteries will have no ill effect on either panel,or batteries as long as polarity is observed.

That said polarity is very important when connecting electronics! ie controller.

The basics are you are connecting two battery systems together via a controller to regulate the interaction! It really is that simple!

Because you are thinking portable panels,the roof connection can be ignored.

If there is no controller then the planed panels may have one built in, or you will have two wires not connected to anything. Sometimes the circuit is built into the inverter. ie charger/inverter.

Here is the real kicker! You have a better view of your rig than anyone here! That and your EE makes you the ultimate expert!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back