• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Coronavirus outbreak declared global emergency

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Drove from Houston to Jackson, MS today, I-10 to I-55. Saw maybe 10 RV's max. Good and bad. Good people are not thinking this is vacation time and taking RV trips, bad in that it's sad to see.

Found an interesting (and, a little unsettling) article today regarding the potential duration of the pandemic and efforts to contain it.

TJ

Not a comforting read at all.

Had to make a stop at Lowes for one item, interesting all the registers have shields and grocery stores are installing them. We are aliens on our own planet now!

My little town of 3,930 confirmed its first Covid-19 infected person today. o_O It's starting to get real now.

My little town of 3,930 confirmed its first Covid-19 infected person today. o_O It's starting to get real now.
It does "get real" in a hurry when you start getting local cases. Our small county has 144 confirmed Covid-19 cases and has had eight deaths related to the coronavirus. And, our local community (about 10K people) has at least a dozen confirmed cases as of today, including a couple of people I know. Fortunately, I have not been in recent contact with them, but knowing someone with Covid-19 really brings it home.

TJ

I'm not convinced this virus is a person to person thing entirely for how it's transmitted. How is it getting into jails? How about navy ships out at sea? Unless people are carrying this for months otherwise is it in our food supply? We are not getting any information of those that contracted it if they were traveling, around others, etc. All we know are number of cases i.e. how many have it but no details other than that.

I'm not convinced this virus is a person to person thing entirely for how it's transmitted. How is it getting into jails? How about navy ships out at sea? Unless people are carrying this for months otherwise is it in our food supply? We are not getting any information of those that contracted it if they were traveling, around others, etc. All we know are number of cases i.e. how many have it but no details other than that.
What we have seen in our area of Washington state is that the initial cases developed in health care facilities serving the elderly. Either family members, visitors and/or staff brought in the initial infection and it went undetected for a considerable amount of time. As a result, the virus was incubated in elderly residents (the 8 who have died thus far were all care facility residents) and then unknowingly spread to family, friends and others in the community.

The insidious thing about the coronavirus is that it can be passed by an infected person prior to he/she showing any symptoms. And, it is beginning to look like younger, healthy people can have the disease without ever showing symptoms but they are fully capable of passing it to others who will have much more severe cases. That's why it is important for ALL of us to practice good hygiene and physical distancing.

Sadly, our nation...and, the world...was unprepared to deal with this event. No one wants to spend money preparing for something that MIGHT happen, but the lack of doing so has put us well behind the curve in this battle. Now, we are trying to play catch-up with something that is outrunning us daily. Eventually, the disease will slow due to the "herd immunity" noted in the article I posted the link to earlier. Once we do get up to speed, we'll be able to deal with it more effectively. In the meantime, we, as individuals, need to interrupt the spread mechanism by keeping our distance from one another and maintaining a high standard of personal hygiene.

TJ

We just had our first death from this virus in my county. Army vet, 63 yr old. Same age as me. Sad and sobering.

We found out on the news tonight that a skilled care facility with 45 beds has 27 patients that tested positive. The facility is about 3 miles from us. We are staying in and only going to the store but when it’s that close then it is concerning.

Last edited:
We aren’t even going to the store...having groceries delivered. We do have masks...my wife has a lung condition that makes it way to easy to catch viruses...I just bought a large box of N95’s before we went abroad in January. I wore one today to pick up one of her prescriptions at a small pharmacy without a drive-thru.

Latest resources

Back