Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
With all this forced stay-at-home time, I'm crossing a bunch of items off my to-do list and next up is the installation of our new BlackVue DR900S dash camera. Would be interested in seeing photos of where and how others have mounted their cameras. And, any suggestions are welcome too.

TJ

Following

Don't have a pic now, but I mounted my Garmin dash cam center about 10" above the dash (just enough to clear the wipers), and routed the wire between the dash and windshield to the A pillar then down. It uses a metal disc that attaches to the windshield and the camera magnetically attaches to it. I remove it when parked because of possible heat buildup.

I don't have a pic either @TJ&LadyDi but the mount position is simple. Highest point on the windshield, centered, just below the blue tint. I then ran the wire left and down the pillar by removing the plastic pillar. I added a 12V outlet tying into the wiring from the other 12V outlet.

Our 2017 I had my Dashcam mounted low with viewing between the 2 wiper blades resting location. Since your wipers are hidden you would be as restricted with lower in the windshield. Wire routing will be shorter if mounted low. We reviewed recordings many times on Alaska trip and don’t see any advantage of mounting higher.

On 2020 I have mounted down low again. Picture is with our Magnashade and wiper blade covers on but think you get the idea. I want to add additional USB port but haven’t decided on location. Second is a video crossing the Yukon River on barge which gives idea of viewing area with it mounted down low.

Attachments

• 0A7E828E-58E6-4ED8-AAD2-420C2AC56BD3.jpeg
    0A7E828E-58E6-4ED8-AAD2-420C2AC56BD3.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0407.MOV
    16.1 MB
I chose high for best view. My Garmin was low. BlackVue has plenty of wire.

I am going to ask a really dumb question. I get the wiring part across the top and down the A pillar. I know I am looking for a 12 volt wire I believe but where under the dash?

I am going to ask a really dumb question. I get the wiring part across the top and down the A pillar. I know I am looking for a 12 volt wire I believe but where under the dash?

There's actually a lot of 12V wiring, you're looking for red and white wires, white is the ground. If you have a "cigarette lighter" receptacle, that's 12V and I tapped into those wires.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask

We had a couple of extra 12-volt ports added to the coach as specials; one is on the arm-rest next to the driver. That said, there are quite a few places to pick up 12-volt power under the dash. There's a large bundle of wires at the base of the steering column and, on our coach, 12V was accessible there. Then, behind the front console panel, you can pick up 12V power. Probable the easiest is to simply piggy-back on an existing 12V outlet and run a wire from there.

TJ

I would suspect some of the wires are switched “on” by ignition, while some others are always hot.

Latest resources

Back