Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ManlyMan

RVF VIP
Back in June of 2000 I bought 9mm Taurus Millennium pistol to use for home defense and camping (tent). When we gave up the tent in 2003 in favor of a trailer for traveling the country, that Millennium usually went with us.

Last year I stumbled onto an article that mentioned a recall on that firearm because it wasn’t drop safe. Unfortunately the recall window closed back in Feb 2018. No big deal to me because I had put thousands of rounds through the pistol without any issues. This year I decided to retire the Millennium and I bought a Taurus G2c pistol to replace it.

Sunday I was looking at the manual that came with the Millennium and noticed it had a lifetime warranty and I had actually sent in the warranty card when I bought it. Monday I called Taurus to see if I could send it back to them for repair under the lifetime warranty. NOPE, they won’t repair it BUT they would send me a new G2c as a replacement. The Millennium pistol would then be destroyed. Since I already have a G2c I guess I could sell the one they send me.

I’m actually torn between keeping the Millennium or sending it in for destruction. Sending it in feels like I’m sending a close friend to a retirement home where he will be euthanized. I’m still debating what I want to do.

Just consider it a funeral for a dear friend that has reached the end of his life. We all have a finite lifetime and your original G2c has reached it. You could think of the new one as its child; same DNA, just younger in age. :rolleyes:

TJ

Send it in. Destroy most likely means stripped down, melted and turned into another gun. You’re not killing it, you’re giving it a new lease on life and getting a free gun to boot!

Send it in. Destroy most likely means stripped down, melted and turned into another gun. You’re not killing it, you’re giving it a new lease on life and getting a free gun to boot!
And, you may be saving a family member or unsuspecting recipient of the G2c after it leaves your control from injury or death. It is a time bomb waiting to be dropped!

TJ

Last edited:
If that warranty is transferable, you can send it to me!

I have the same handgun and had read that it would be destroyed and they would provide $200 in compensation. Given that this handgun was passed on to me from my father, I wasn’t willing to depart with it. I’m aware of the safety issue and will handle it accordingly.

Well the deed is done. Taurus emailed a FedEx prepaid shipping label to me and I just returned from dropping the package off. Goodbye old friend. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Taurus to ship the replacement pistol to my FFL dealer.

The day after I shipped the Taurus the bad weather hit the south. My pistol which was shipped via FedEx 2nd day air on the 17th has been sitting in Memphis since the 19th. FedEx is still using the weather as a reason for the delay in delivery to Bainbridge, GA. I am not impressed with FedEx.

We have seen slower deliveries from both FedEx and UPS lately too, but I think we need to cut them a little slack because of both the pandemic and the weather. Lots more stuff is being ordered online these days, resulting in more packages to deliver. And, at the same time, the weather is preventing some employees from getting to work and making delivery routes slower. Then, the Covid-19 situation is cutting the number of employees able to work, either directly through illness, or indirectly through state/local health regulations (another story; let’s not go there now, please).

What we REALLY notice is that US Postal Service package deliveries have gone from slow to abysmal! We live in a rural area, so mail is delivered to roadside mailboxes (ours is a half-mile away) and packages are brought to the house; seemingly when someone feels like it. And, a couple of times a week, I get to sort out the neighbors’ mail from mine and either take it over to their house or return it to their mailbox on my next trip out.

We’ve had packages mailed from California (usually two days via UPS/FedEx) take nearly two weeks to get here via US Mail. In one memorable case, a package from California was tracked to Denver, then some small town in Texas, up to Salt Lake City, then Reno, Seattle and finally was delivered here. I think they call it “Grand Tour Service.” I’ll take a couple days of weather delay from UPS/FedEx any day over USPS.

And, now with Amazon and others using a hybrid delivery where it goes to the closest UPS hub and then gets transferred to USPS for local delivery, it it getting worse. Things get lost or they get a version of the “Grand Tour Service.” And, no one wants to take responsibility for where the package is at any given time. “Customer service” in the package delivery business is non-existent.

TJ

Latest resources

Back