RV Model
19FDS
RV Length
20 ft 2in
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford Ranger
Fulltimer
No
My wife and I are considering buying a RV in the 21 to 22 ft range with a GVWR around 6500. I own a 2020 ranger with a factory tow pkg. I want to confirm these are realistic limits before we start actively looking. Any tips would be appreciated.

It depends to some extent on which Ranger model you have. According to the specs published by Ford, there's about 300# difference in GCVWR between the heaviest and lightest versions.

While the 2020 Ranger is rated to pull 7,500#, the 6,500 trailer you are talking about plus the weight of "stuff" you will put in it is going to put you right at the max. I always like to recommend that you stay at or below 80% of the maximum. That would put you at 6,000#, including all of your personal gear, food, full water and propane tanks, etc.

Can you "push the envelope?" Well, I see some people doing it, but I can't in good conscience recommend doing so. If you could find a trailer with a 5,000 GVWR, you could add 1,000# of cargo and still be at the 80% level.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, here's a link to the 2020 Ford Ranger specs.

TJ

What is the capacity of the ranger, GCVW. Start with thatand see what capacity you have.

Bill& Lisa The GVWR is 6050 and payload is1817 so I believe the answer is 7867 GCVW
TJ just looked at a Keystone Springdale on-line (Yet to visit a dealer) shipping weight 4055 / 1145 carrying capacity would that be inside the GVWR number you cited?

TJ just looked at a Keystone Springdale on-line (Yet to visit a dealer) shipping weight 4055 / 1145 carrying capacity would that be inside the GVWR number you cited?
That sounds like it would work well and keep you at the 80% point. (y)

TJ

We have settled on a Rockwood Geo Pro 19FDS with a stated dry wt of 3413, GVWR 4335 and hitch wt of 435. Since it is lighter than the Springdale I beleive we are OK to tow with the Ranger. That said, I am interested in opinions/need for equipment to control Sway, weight distribution and recommendations for Brake controllers.

When I was towing a trailer (some years back), I ALWAYS went with a weight-distribution hitch. It improves handling significantly. As for brake controllers, they have changed significantly since I was using one so don't have any specific recommendations except to say that getting one with proportional braking is a good investment.

Congrats on your trailer purchase decision. Sounds like it should be well-matched to your tow vehicle.

TJ

Lots of hitches out there - any tips on ones that would be appropriate for this size of trailer (Dealership recommendation was the Equalizer 6000#), it is in the $600 range. If we need it OK, but looking for a cross check what are the thoughts out there?

I think you'll find that good quality weight distribution hitches with a sway control feature will run $500 on up, so the dealer recommendation is not too far off. Remember that this is a safety item and you want a well-built and supported hitch. I think going with at least a 6,000-pound capacity is wise.

Equalizer makes a decent hitch from what I can tell. I've always liked Reese hitches, but they are no less expensive.

Take a look on eTrailer...

...to get an idea of what's out there in decent quality hitches.

TJ

What is the capacity of the ranger, GCVW. Start with thatand see what capacity you have.
I second this. More info on the truck is required. how is it appointed? What engine, what trans, what gear ratio? If Ford has a website anything like Ram your vin will tell you what capacity your vehicle can tow as built. I typed in 2020 ranger tow capacity and what came up was a 4 cylinder truck with tow capacity in the 3000 range.

Latest resources

Back