Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Directions... .. Cheyenne, Wyoming to Custer, ( Rapid City), South Dakota.....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TucsonJack

RVF Regular
Hello Everyone,
Not sure if is the best thread/place to ask for directions.
Will be going to Custer (Rapid City area) South Dakota this summer and would like to ask for the best directions to get there from Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Staying on I-25 north out of Cheyenne to I-90 east seems like the long way to go, especially with the cost of fuel.
Wondering if there is a good road to cut across from I-25 north in Wyoming into South Dakota maybe near Hot Springs, SD and then head north to Custer.
I will be pulling a Grand Design Imagine 2970RL travel trailer behind my Chevy Silverado 2500HD. My total length is approximately 53 feet.
Thank you and travel safe,
TucsonJack

I’m not from there, but have been through there. It’s beautiful country and I tent to stay off interstates as I’m not in a hurry and like to watch the scenery. Plus you never know what might pop up that you want to see.
Google Maps shows 85 to 18 as the quickest way and not so much on interstate.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.png
    IMG_0736.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
I've been on rt85 several times. Very good road. Plenty of places for fuel or gas and not heavily traveled by semi's. rt18 will drop you into Custer City and you can go north to Rapid from there. I travel through there in motorhome and car hauler 75'.

I’m not from there, but have been through there. It’s beautiful country and I tent to stay off interstates as I’m not in a hurry and like to watch the scenery. Plus you never know what might pop up that you want to see.
Google Maps shows 85 to 18 as the quickest way and not so much on interstate.
Thank you. Looks good.

I've been on rt85 several times. Very good road. Plenty of places for fuel or gas and not heavily traveled by semi's. rt18 will drop you into Custer City and you can go north to Rapid from there. I travel through there in motorhome and car hauler 75'.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Even though you are not very tall or long, I would suggest purchasing a Trucker's Atlas from a local truck stop. It is a great way to review routes and double check on any restrictions when towing any load.

Even though you are not very tall or long, I would suggest purchasing a Trucker's Atlas from a local truck stop. It is a great way to review routes and double check on any restrictions when towing any load.
Good idea. Will do. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back