• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Disable the automatic steps

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A three way switch of some sort would be better, so that when the step is deactivated, a sizable red light flashes.

This is beyond my knowledge to know how to implement.

A three way switch of some sort would be better, so that when the step is deactivated, a sizable red light flashes.

The only thing I will say to that is people have a tendency to ignore things they see every day. An example is the little flag I had for the TV antenna. When the antenna was up the flag was affixed to the driver side visor, when the antenna was down the flag was affixed to the antenna crank. This worked fine but had I set a switch to the antenna connected to a light on the dash I would have been like so many that have their antennas destroyed by the wind.

If your routine is to put the step out every time you go outside then you won't forget.

There is truth in what you say Kevin, and that is definitely a good warning.I guess it depends on one's situation.
I still move faster than the steps so, I have to open the door, and look down, waiting for the steps to fully deploy before I can step on them.

I am not sure what people do in more urban areas when parking up against a side walk. Many places will ticket you for parking facing the wrong direction. No simple solutions.

...and another thought...if you find the fuse that protects that circuit, then confirm that it is alone on the fuse, you could pull the fuse out to disable the steps. No wire cutting or modifications required. Once found, put a tie-wrap around the fuse as a ID bracelet and a puller handle. Then, if you want to be real creative, you could make a switch from a fuse tap and a couple more items from the auto parts store to replace the fuse.
Outstanding! Thank you very much!

Dangerous, really dangerous. If you modify the steps I would advise you only use the steps in this way. If you have ever stepped out of your RV expecting steps that were not there than you understand why the way you use your steps should be the routine and the norm. It has been over 7 years that I had such a mishap I am still having to deal with a shoulder problem. I am lucky I always grab the step rail.
Thank you very much for the much-needed word of caution, Kevin.

Good point. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back