Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
If the DPDS is going to be stored for longer than a couple of weeks I turn off the chassis and house battery circuits.
Not having shore power available currently, I find this is the only way to be certain that the batteries will not discharge to unacceptable level after extended storage.

Luckily the DPDS has easily accessible switches to turn these circuits off.

What do you do for storage??

If those switches absolutely sever every circuit attached to those banks you should be fine. I have read that there are several parasitic draws on the batteries that will deplete them over a short time.

It is my understanding that the chassis battery power is completely disconnected by these switches

1710416832243.jpeg

On my '17 I found that there was only a battery switch for the chassis battery and the "salesman switch". The salesman switch only disables parts of the circuitry, causing a house battery drain. I installed a dual circuit battery switch to completely disconnect ALL power from the house batteries. Since the instructions for the inverter defined explicitly to always disconnect the positive cable first, I put the disconnect on the positive side of the circuits.

Additionally, I plug in to 120vac monthly to recharge whatever loss there might be. I can't stay plugged in, so this has been the best compromise.

Chassis battery disconnect, disconnects just that. Salesman switch disconnects SOME 12V power sources. If you look behind the cord reel you should fine the contraption where the 12V power is sourced. There are two sides to it, one is ALWAYS ON and the other is controlled by the salesman switch. The only way to kill power to your coach is adding a disconnect at the house battery bay. You need to hard disconnect both battery "sets" chassis and house in order to really have a complete disconnect with no parasitic drains. You can use an electric pen tester to see what's hot and not.

Latest resources

Back