Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rv1993

RVF Regular
Hi, new. Got dish tailgater, wally receiver. Put dish on roof, connected ouside. Inside coax to wally box, hdi? Box to tv. Test installation:failed, reception error. Got to:test signal strength, tuner 1, sat 119, transponder 1. Signal strength 0. Satellite 119 . Not locked, return to installation test. Fail? Any ideas? TV works thru antenna basic tv. Now can't get basic digital so satellite must be connected? Lost. Thank you.

20201203_225400.jpg

I found that using the cabling already in the coach was problematic. It has to do with the antenna booster and/or splitters. After running a dedicated cable directly from the antenna to the Wally, all is good. If you are not using a dedicated cable, try it temporarily just going through a window. If it works, then you can find the routing that fits your needs.

The direction of the Tailgater is also important. The handle must be on the north side of unit when it is on place, to allow the antenna to sweep the skies for the satellites.

I think @RandyB nailed it; you can't just use the "Cable TV" input for the RV; too much "stuff" in the line. You need a direct coax cable run from the dish to the receiver. We had it installed when we ordered our coach, but it isn't all that hard to do. And, some people just run a temporary cable in through a window near the TV.

Facing the dish in the proper direction is also required; handle to the north as Randy said.

TJ

On mine, I have to select the geographic area that I'm in, like Florida vs Southern Florida, etc. I don't see that on the images you posted. Maybe you did that earlier in the setup?

Thanks people. It did in fact work running thru window. Been told attena ok up, attena interfering, get a splitter, voltage test (having this morning) $350 for a guy to come look. I'm not living with a cable thru window and bugs/tape. One more call to tech and it gets returned, unless I drill hole through back of camper, nobody has an answer.

Can you tell us what kind of "camper" you have? Are we dealing with a travel trailer, 5th wheel, motorhome? Installing a dedicated cable for the satellite input is usually not difficult, though it probably will require drilling a hole or two and--maybe--installing a coaxial connector or two.

Help us help you by providing a bit more information about your RV,

TJ

Hi, thank you for your response. Luckily my new neighbor is an electrician/handyman. He didn't get a charge from the back, and inside above kitchenette plaque removed to find circuit board fried. Still getting basic thru attena on the other coax under cabinets at back. But yes, final decision is to drill through back, coax plate each side. Ty everyone for input.

Latest resources

Back