Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Do you know the height of your RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Have you measured the height of your RV at ride height? Always a good idea to have an exact number, pad as needed if you put the specs in your RV GPS such as I put in my Garmin RV890. Over time things can change, for example I put a cellular antenna (parsec husky) on top of my air conditioner. I figured it's time to get up there and get a solid measurement again. While I didn't use a straight edge for perfect measurements, I got a good number.

For my 2017 Newmar Ventana my roof is at approximately 11'9". It then appears the top of the antenna on top of my air conditioner is 14" above the roof. So that puts me at 13' 1" which jives with my 13' 5" I put in my RV 890.

Height (in/mm)148 / 3759.2
This is from the Winnebago web site on my 2014 Itasca. So can I assume that is to the top of my AC units? My new garage has a 13 foot door. Am I good to go ? Funny this came up as we just met with the garage door guy this AM.

My 2020 Canyon Star is 12' 11"
I input 13' 2" in my Garmin 770, which gives me a 3" safety factor.
One time, I did fill up the coach at a station which had a 13' 6" canopy, and it was fine! Proceeded very carefully while pulling under it, & had a "spotter" too!

Except when you run into a dangling tree limb that hasn't been taken care of. Do you bill a new sat. dish to the Hwy Dept?

I HAVE called the city more than once to trim trees on our streets (to clear our path, of course 😄 - I'm happy to note that our neighbor finally took down his trashy ash trees after the city kept having to whack them into 'shape'.

Oh, and specs say ours is 12-1/2 tall - we haven't added anything. How would you get a really accurate measurement of a hive. I guess you can do the old trick - line it up with bill of your cap, spin around and mark where it lines up in another direction. 😌

12’ 10“. I put a 12’ step ladder next to the coach and placed one end of a door level (78” long) on the high point of an air conditioner, with the other end held out over the pavement of my level parking area and measured.

That said I dont trust anything under 13’6“ because I like a little margin for error on the part of others. I can drop the coach another 2” with active air but I wouldnt do that to squeeze under something questionable unless absolutely necessary, and even then Id have a spotter, and nothing under 13’. Not worth the potential damage that would occur no matter how slow you are going.

Last edited:
Winnebago verified their measurement is to the top of the air conditioner.

I just laid a 10 ft 2x4 {because that was handy} across the top of the AC which seemed to be the highest point on the roof and measured from that to the ground. Add a few inches for your comfort. Seems simple enough. THEN put a placard on your dash to remind you of the heights.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back