• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Do you plan all stops in advance? What tools do you use?,

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We're on the second night of our meticulously planned 6-week trip. Already encounte a problem with meticulous planning. I'd plugged all the stops (by hand) into the Garmin GPS. Problem with that - if we decided not to do one of the stops, it kept trying to turn us around, for miles. I don't know if it would keep it up for 6 weeks 😳 so I deleted all the rest stops from the Garmin.
We used the original TripWizand route on our phones to locate the fuel stops, etc... it all worked out fine... We were just traveling through the most remote part of our trip and discovered that even there, I could use Earth or Gas Buddy or other apps to find what we wanted as we drove along. (having good cell reception is important, but it turned out that we could also read signs😄).
I do pre-planning partly for fun, but I'm fine with spontaneity too.

We're on the second night of our meticulously planned 6-week trip. Already encounte a problem with meticulous planning. I'd plugged all the stops (by hand) into the Garmin GPS. Problem with that - if we decided not to do one of the stops, it kept trying to turn us around, for miles. I don't know if it would keep it up for 6 weeks 😳 so I deleted all the rest stops from the Garmin.
We used the original TripWizand route on our phones to locate the fuel stops, etc... it all worked out fine... We were just traveling through the most remote part of our trip and discovered that even there, I could use Earth or Gas Buddy or other apps to find what we wanted as we drove along. (having good cell reception is important, but it turned out that we could also read signs😄).
I do pre-planning partly for fun, but I'm fine with spontaneity too.
Precisely. It wants to see if you are paying attention. 😂 That happened to me on the way to the Service Center. It kept telling me to turn when I was almost certain I never turned on that road before. GPS=s are great, if you know where you are going. Wait! Hmmmm! :unsure:
What you do is stop the trip with the X. Then go back in to that trip and select the next waypoint, that is using the trip Planner in the GPS.

We decide on a destination, then use RVParky app to lay out our route. I try to keep it to 300 mile legs, but will adjust if needed to find a safer, more accessible, safer campground. We also use sat views to verify access and exit points for fuel stops and campgrounds. I spend a lot of time researching campgrounds. We learned the hard way that name brand doesn't guarantee quality or safety. When I look at reviews, I look to see why people mark a CG down scale. Lack of internet, cable, activities for children, or proximity to restaurants are not detractors to us.
Got burned a few times, county park in GA once and KOA in NM that my wife feared for our safety and security. As the years have gone by, we have gotten pretty good at finding the type of CG we enjoy on our routes.

Precisely. It wants to see if you are paying attention. 😂 That happened to me on the way to the Service Center. It kept telling me to turn when I was almost certain I never turned on that road before. GPS=s are great, if you know where you are going. Wait! Hmmmm! :unsure:
What you do is stop the trip with the X. Then go back in to that trip and select the next waypoint, that is using the trip Planner in the GPS.
I'll try it again but it seems like when we went back into the trip it was starting over at our ... home

We decide on a destination, then use RVParky app to lay out our route. I try to keep it to 300 mile legs, but will adjust if needed to find a safer, more accessible, safer campground. We also use sat views to verify access and exit points for fuel stops and campgrounds. I spend a lot of time researching campgrounds. We learned the hard way that name brand doesn't guarantee quality or safety. When I look at reviews, I look to see why people mark a CG down scale. Lack of internet, cable, activities for children, or proximity to restaurants are not detractors to us.
Got burned a few times, county park in GA once and KOA in NM that my wife feared for our safety and security. As the years have gone by, we have gotten pretty good at finding the type of CG we enjoy on our routes.
I agree. With any review for anything, it's amazing why some people will give 1 star. Sometimes it's because they LIKED it tremendously, but didn't understand ratings.
And sat views? See my post 8/21/22.

Latest resources

Back