• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Door bumpers - long vs. short

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The tech added longer bumpers to my screen door on my visit to Nappanee a couple of weeks ago.
Much better on the drive home.

Yes, I have to shut the door very hard to engage the 2nd lock and the tech stated that is how Newmar doors "should" be.

I can hardly get mine to the second latch…. I think I have done it twice since I own it (7+ years). I even took the bumpers off without luck.

I think would have to remove the latch and adjust, but since you have to remove the trim pieces, I have never bothered.

So where does one go to buy these longer bumpers? I have seen 1" bumpers on trailer.com. is this the "longer" ones?

The tech added longer bumpers to my screen door on my visit to Nappanee a couple of weeks ago.
Much better on the drive home.

Yes, I have to shut the door very hard to engage the 2nd lock and the tech stated that is how Newmar doors "should" be.
Yes, told us there are two - first one is the “camping” lock that you get easily shutting the door.

Second needs the “Newmar slam” as they put it to engage for travel.

My Nappanee tech somehow adjusted my door so that I don’t have to slam it to get it fully engaged. If going to the mothership, the tech to see is Shorty Troy.

If you have to push the door inward to use the deadbolt then the door is not closed to its “second” position. Many of these doors have to be closed quite hard to get them to their fully sealed position. That’s certainly how mine works.
I was told with mine for travel you have to give it the "Amish slam"....not sure where they define that at ...but a good slam and making sure goes to 2nd latch and mine does not rattle.

I won’t do the heavy slam as I really worry about damage to the doors window or even the mechanism.

I won’t do the heavy slam as I really worry about damage to the doors window or even the mechanism.
We only give the door a relatively hard close when we are ready for travel. The rest of the time the door is closed lightly. This has worked for 7 years and 70k miles with no ill effects. We call the closes the “travel close” and the “camping close”.

Latest resources

Back