Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

DT04-4P-RT What is it and what does it do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jim

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
I was digging around in the fuse compartment (in the small basement storage area under the driver seat) and I found this guy with signs of having been very hot somewhere along the line. It appears to terminate a series of wires or to connect them together, but aside from that, I have no idea what the wires do or where they go.
2016 London Aire 4519

Anyone have any ideas?

DSCN0421.JPG

DSCN0427.JPG

DSCN0433.JPG

DSCN0436.JPG

I would try the directional signals or 4 way flashers and maybe high/low beam headlights to see if they work with that removed

DT04-4P-RT is a “molded in diode”. Don’t know what it goes to, but it shouldn’t over heat. Could be in the chassis lights system as @Chargerman suggested. Or….? Are you getting any DTCs?

Another Newmar owner (same year/model coach) had the same problem. Not yet 100% sure, but it appears this might be a recall for a wiring harness problem that is only current when the headlights are on. I'm checking with Newmar when the sun comes up.

Edit: 8:20am
Headlights are indeed compromised. Turn signals are operational, so are running lights, so at least I'm not dead in the water. Have an appointment with NIRVC in March, so I'll have this addressed at that time. Meanwhile I'll have to drive only during daylight hours.

Edit: 9:14 Newmar and Freightliner both say it is NOT a recall item.

Last edited:
I’d like to ask a dumb question…how is it that a significant Newmar dealer sell an RV without working running lights? What am I missing? That seems like a legal irresponsibility unless they were transparent about it in the delivery? There was a recall back in 2018 for headlight issues but I don’t recall it being about operational lights.

Edit: 9:14 Newmar and Freightliner both say it is NOT a recall item.
Naturally. Just a chassis electrical safety issue….

Wonder if this would get some attention:

I’d like to ask a dumb question…how is it that a significant Newmar dealer sell an RV without working running lights? What am I missing? That seems like a legal irresponsibility unless they were transparent about it in the delivery? There was a recall back in 2018 for headlight issues but I don’t recall it being about operational lights.

They worked when I received the coach. That changed somewhere between Montgomery AL and Pensacola FL when I turned on the lights due to a massive rainstorm. While I was checking fuses for the heated seats I noticed an electrical smell in the bay under the drivers seat. This wasn't the condition of the diode when I left NC., or I would have noticed it.

So I don't know, it this part something that would self-destruct (similar to a fuse) in the case of on overheated wire? Maybe it did what it was supposed to do?

I'm waiting on a return call from the local Freightliner parts as to the availability. Worst comes to worst, I'll hang a couple of flashlights on the front. :)

They worked when I received the coach. That changed somewhere between Montgomery AL and Pensacola FL when I turned on the lights due to a massive rainstorm. While I was checking fuses for the heated seats I noticed an electrical smell in the bay under the drivers seat. This wasn't the condition of the diode when I left NC., or I would have noticed it.

So I don't know, it this part something that would self-destruct (similar to a fuse) in the case of on overheated wire? Maybe it did what it was supposed to do?

I'm waiting on a return call from the local Freightliner parts as to the availability. Worst comes to worst, I'll hang a couple of flashlights on the front. :)
Diodes will last a very long time unless subjected to too much current - then they blow. If you want to do a little research, contact TE Connectivity:

As luck would have it, there is a Freightliner parts/service/sales 1 mile away. Found out this is not a Freightliner part, but they ordered it for me from one of their providers. $127.17 with overnight shipping! Oh well, had to have it, so it-is-what-it-is, right?

My concern is not so much what it cost, but what caused it to overheat in the first place. Hopefully it won't happen again, but we'll see.

Did any water get into that bay of the basement? You said it was a huge rainstorm...

Latest resources

Back