• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Electrical/Inverter Question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The generator goes through the transfer switch but has it’s own input contacts (it switches between shore and generator power), so the issue is likely the transfer switch contacts for the shore cord. Either that or on the cord, plug or power source.

The generator goes through the transfer switch but has it’s own input contacts (it switches between shore and generator power), so the issue is likely the transfer switch contacts for the shore cord. Either that or on the cord, plug or power source.
Thank you! I'll start at the outlet and see what I can find. I'm hopeful. Just to confirm, am I correct in assuming that the outlet should be a standard 220V 50 amp service?

It’s two hots, a neutral and a ground. Normally two hots and a neutral would be all you need for 240v residentail stuff like a welder, water heater, dryer, table saw, compressor, etc. But for RVs we have to have both a neutral and ground. So your outlet should test out accordingly.

Here are some useful pics:
F93518AC-FA75-445C-975D-BF32A8582441.jpeg
4C94411B-8E72-4786-8998-59507D4FEA9D.jpeg
306D276F-86FB-435C-A886-80FFD4B736E6.jpeg

Definitely start at the power source, but as Dona40 reminded us, the problem is probably in the shore cord connections or contacts of the transfer switch. But it could also be in the source, plug, or cord.

It’s two hots, a neutral and a ground. Normally two hots and a neutral would be all you need for 240v residentail stuff like a welder, water heater, dryer, table saw, compressor, etc. But for RVs we have to have both a neutral and ground. So your outlet should test out accordingly.

Here are some useful pics:
View attachment 15531View attachment 15532View attachment 15533
This is VERY helpful! Thank you SO much for all the good info. It was raining today so I couldn't test, but hope to start testing/checking tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.

I was going to get into the possible open neutral condition that may be at your power source and the cause of your issues, but found this article and it explains everything much better than I can. Good rainy day reading:

So read this start to finish, then check everything in your power source if its at your own property, or if you are in a camp ground, ask the owners. I have a Precision Circiuts EMS and always thought that was enough, but before this trip I bought a Progressive Industries surge protector Progressive Industries SSP-50XL form Amazon for $109 (now they are $132) and while I don’t worry much about power surges, it also tests the outlet and verifys that it is delivering power properly (although not under load) and tells you the pedestal is good (or not) before you plug in. Note the first item on the “product features” list is open neutral and ground.

My son the all-knowing genius/inventor (police detective by profession) and sine-qua-non solar and lithium guru, would say these are a waste of money, but its not his coach, and I am glad I spent the $109 to have a little peace of mind.

This forum is like going to college again. Thanks Rich W.
It would be horrible to have to test each pedestal with such a high load at each campground. On the other hand, the extra time could save a lot of headache and expense.

iIs there an adapter that goes from 50A to two plugs - one on each leg?

It would be horrible to have to test each pedestal with such a high load at each campground. On the other hand, the extra time could save a lot of headache and expense.

I’ve never seen an adapter like that but you could make one easy enough. Not sure what you’d normally use it for. It could be used if one leg of a 50a service was bad, although if that were the case I wouldn’t even try to use the outlet. 50 to 30 amp adapters just use one hot, the neutral and the ground from the 50a plug to power the 30a outlet.

Ok so they do exist as shown below. The first one (yellow) could be bad news because you could easily overload the 20amp outlet long before the 50a breaker would trip. The second one (orange) has built in breakers so it would be ok to use in about any application. Still not sure why you would need one, but there it is, available from Amazon (AC Works) for $65. Maybe to power a big deep fryer outside, or for boiling crabs? I guess any cooking or anything else you wanted to do electrically outside the coach.
1A3C3B40-774D-4A48-A298-0DE900C6FB7F.jpeg
9B8CE23B-3FFC-4EC3-A2DC-DDA5A229F309.jpeg

Try resetting your Inverter. I have 2 switches. Had this problem in a previous coach and that fixed the issue.

Latest resources

Back