RV Length
20'
Chassis
21 Ram Promaster 3500
Engine
V6 gas
TOW/TOAD
small utility trl
Tried to check the trailer connections on my 22 RoadTrek Play SRT neither th3 4 pin or 7 pin work . There is power to the 12v pin on the 7 pin connector.

Its pretty common for chassis manufactures to leave the 12v power connection in a round 7 either unwired, or without a fuse or relay to power it. That would be #4. If that’s the case, to fix that you would first locate the fuse or relay space for that and see if its in place. If not the fix is easy. On my F250 there is a spot for a relay in the fuse block but it isn’t wired and doesnt have contacts in the block (from the factory - lame!) so it would be a bigger job to fix and I just live without it.

The #7 is back up lights, so that may or may not work but unless you have them on the trailer you wouldn't need it. Is this vehicle new to you? Did they ever work?

Here’s the standard wiring diagram:

C32D32D1-73CB-4FEB-BABA-75203918A6E3.jpeg

Its pretty common for chassis manufactures to leave the 12v power connection in a round 7 either unwired, or without a fuse or relay to power it. That would be #4. If that’s the case, to fix that you would first locate the fuse or relay space for that and see if its in place. If not the fix is easy. On my F250 there is a spot for a relay in the fuse block but it isn’t wired and doesnt have contacts in the block (from the factory - lame!) so it would be a bigger job to fix and I just live without it.

The #7 is back up lights, so that may or may not work but unless you have them on the trailer you wouldn't need it. Is this vehicle new to you? Did they ever work?

We bought it new about a year ago and this was my first contact with the trailer connections. Warranty work, recalls, and family issues have resulted in the van sitting idle most of our ownership period.
My checking the trailer connections actually came as looking for a solution to another problem. Since we added a rear swing away spare tire carrier we have had an Orange triangle with an exclamation character illuminated in the instrument panel. And get a service backup sensors message on startup. I got a suggestion from a friend that I might be able to fool the computer , turn off the backup sensors if I could make it think there was a trailer attached.

that model appears to be based on a 2022 RAM Promaster Van.

if that is correct and you have the full entertainment system (looks to be an 8" color display), within the settings for the vehicle on the infotainment system, there should be a setting in general or vehicle settings that allows you to disable the parking sensors.

might look on RAMs website for the Promaster Owners Manual, it will have all the settings and how-to's for the van part of the RV.

that model appears to be based on a 2022 RAM Promaster Van. if that is correct and you have the full entertainment system (looks to be an 8" color display), within the settings for the vehicle on the infotainment system, there should be a setting in general or vehicle settings that allows you to disable the parking sensors. might look on RAMs website for the Promaster Owners Manual, it will have all the settings and how-to's for the van part of the RV.

that model appears to be based on a 2022 RAM Promaster Van.

if that is correct and you have the full entertainment system (looks to be an 8" color display), within the settings for the vehicle on the infotainment system, there should be a setting in general or vehicle settings that allows you to disable the parking sensors.

might look on RAMs website for the Promaster Owners Manual, it will have all the settings and how-to's for the van part of the RV.
Our is on a 21 Promaster chassis and we have what I believe to be 5" screen. I have gone over the manual front to back and can find no mention of turning off backup sensors other than connecting a trailer, and no mention of any trailer light fuses.

maybe wire a "third" brake light to a 4 pin connector and attach it to the middle of the spare tire, then it has a connection to the trailer harness:

Our is on a 21 Promaster chassis and we have what I believe to be 5" screen. I have gone over the manual front to back and can find no mention of turning off backup sensors other than connecting a trailer, and no mention of any trailer light fuses.
I’m certain its not mentioned in the owners manual (probably is in a shop manual), but if you look at the fuse location diagram on the back of the fuse block cover you might find a listing for 12v trailer power and a corresponding empty fuse slot. A quick call to the service dept of your local dodge dealer should also solve that part of the mistery.

Latest resources

Back