RV Make
Sunset
RV Model
Sunray 149
RV Length
16'
Fulltimer
No
I have a factory install 100W solar system already set up on my RV. I also have a solar plug hookup on the outside. If I was to purchase a 100w portable solar panel and hook that up directly to that outside plug would that provide me with 200w system? Is the presents of another controller on the portable setup going to interfere with the already installed controller? Can both work in conjugation with each other or do I have to do and different configuration? A stuid question is one that is not asked.......SMH

Not sure how your RV is configured…. Is the plug factory installed? If so, so there anything in the documentation about what can be plugged into it?

What is the solar input voltage max voltage and max input amperage to your present charge controller. If your new panel is a 48 volt DC class of panel and your present charge controller has a max input of 24 volts . . . things will NOT go well for the 24 volt device.

Rick

Not sure how your RV is configured…. Is the plug factory installed? If so, so there anything in the documentation about what can be plugged into it?
Only document is plugin for solar panels. Was wondering if the factory installed controller inside is in series with the outside factory plug to the battery - sharing just one wire to the battery. It's really hard tracing wires in in these things.... Guess I can always open the controller and check continuity from inside controller to outside plug. Was looking for easier way though.

What is the solar input voltage max voltage and max input amperage to your present charge controller. If your new panel is a 48 volt DC class of panel and your present charge controller has a max input of 24 volts . . . things will NOT go well for the 24 volt device.

Rick
It is a Go Power by Domestic. Only info available is 10 amp max input for a 12 volt system. Sorry for the ignorance....

If its 10 amp max, I’d get another controller for the new panel and either figure out the wiring for the solar plug on the trailer and run it to the new controller, or (my choice) run new wire for the new panel to the new controller. That way you can also plan for expanding the system later by installing a better controller and adequate wiring. You can probably get by with running two 100w panels through a 10 amp controller but it would be cutting it close and you’d have no room for additional panels. Guessing one of these is the controller: GP-PWM-10-SQ or 10 amp Flush-Mounted Digital Solar Controller Note that they are rated for 190 watt max. You’ll probably never make 200 watts from two 100 watt panels so it might be ok, but barely. Also I would not get another Dometic controller. You can get higher quality for less money and build a better system. Just my .02 worth.

I don't know anything about this system!!!
This is what I know.
Both panels would need to be tilted the same angle. As well as be unshaded,,to work well with one controller!!! The fact that the two panels will likely never be placed anywhere close to the same angle, or orientation. It would be folly to have them on the same controller.

I have more to say! 200 watts of solar is not enough unless the system simply powers lights. When asked, and I realize I am not being asked, I tell people, less than 500 watts is a waste of money. Even then that is a minimum system.

If its 10 amp max, I’d get another controller for the new panel and either figure out the wiring for the solar plug on the trailer and run it to the new controller, or (my choice) run new wire for the new panel to the new controller. That way you can also plan for expanding the system later by installing a better controller and adequate wiring. You can probably get by with running two 100w panels through a 10 amp controller but it would be cutting it close and you’d have no room for additional panels. Guessing one of these is the controller: GP-PWM-10-SQ or 10 amp Flush-Mounted Digital Solar Controller Note that they are rated for 190 watt max. You’ll probably never make 200 watts from two 100 watt panels so it might be ok, but barely. Also I would not get another Dometic controller. You can get higher quality for less money and build a better system. Just my .02 worth.
Great reply. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for doing the research and suggestion on my question. Food for thought.

I don't know anything about this system!!!
This is what I know.
Both panels would need to be tilted the same angle. As well as be unshaded,,to work well with one controller!!! The fact that the two panels will likely never be placed anywhere close to the same angle, or orientation. It would be folly to have them on the same controller.

I have more to say! 200 watts of solar is not enough unless the system simply powers lights. When asked, and I realize I am not being asked, I tell people, less than 500 watts is a waste of money. Even then that is a minimum system.
Agreed, 200w will keep the batteries topped up if only running lights, charging some devices, and watching some TV, but for some that's enough. I have 1575w and its barely enough but my rig is an energy hog.

Agreed, 200w will keep the batteries topped up if only running lights, charging some devices, and watching some TV, but for some that's enough. I have 1575w and its barely enough but my rig is an energy hog.
I raise you double! Still not gonna run the A/C but no more room!!! I keep looking!

Latest resources

Back