Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
Given the same engine and payload, which class of motorhome tends to be quieter in the cockpit: Class A gas or Class C?

Will doghouse noise mat give Class A the edge? Is it easier/more effective to insulate one over the other?

I went from an 06 class C to an 05 class A, to my current 18 Tiffin class A. All with a V10. Couldn't really tell the difference. It's all how you pack the back. Clanking dishes and pans are louder! I do think the Tiffin doghouse is insulated a little better.

I went from an 06 class C to an 05 class A, to my current 18 Tiffin class A. All with a V10. Couldn't really tell the difference. It's all how you pack the back. Clanking dishes and pans are louder! I do think the Tiffin doghouse is insulated a little better.

I have a 2021 Thor Chateau and my engine noise and engine heat was excessive. I removed the engine cover between the front 2 seats and put a 1" thick insulation material on all interior surfaces of the cover and added more insulation where it was possible in some locations. I also made a foam and decorative fabric cover for the outside of the engine cover and fastened it with velcro to the outside of the cover. Its now cool and much quieter!.

With the large engine up front not gasser is likely to be quiet. I think my BayStar is a bit quieter than my Forrester. Keep in mind these are two different levels of machine. Comparing two in the same price and quality range, it is probably a toss up, IMHO.

The V10 is a screamer - no matter what it is in.

With the large engine up front not gasser is likely to be quiet. I think my BayStar is a bit quieter than my Forrester. Keep in mind these are two different levels of machine. Comparing two in the same price and quality range, it is probably a toss up, IMHO.
Newmar does appear to do a better job of insulating the engine compartment.
The CanyonStar did not transmit heat at all and during cruise you could hold a conversation in normal volume.

However, when you are working the engine at RPM the V10 is loud. The V10 in a MotorHome application uses its full range of RPM up to 5500 or so. That is loud.

speaking of heat. I rented a moving truck and had protien bars in a thick shoulder bag on the floor behind the dog house. Melted. Yes no insulation.

Latest resources

Back