Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

roadsideresident

RVF Regular
Hi. I’m seeking feedback on the 3 seeming best companies I’ve found to install solar in my van. Please let me know which one you would pick. I am not very knowledgeable about solar so your help is appreciated. Please note many recommend install companies in Quartzsite, Arizona but those places are closed most of the year and thus are not a viable option for me.

The 3 companies are:
  • OPTION 1 Solarizing - St. George UT
  • OPTION 3 La Mesa RV Center - Tucson, AZ
  • OPTION 2 Solar Advantage - Tucson, AZ
----- OPTION 1 -----
Solarizing - St. George Utah
$2000 for parts & labor

Panels Info:
Flexible = Renogy, HQST. Ridged = Rec, Jinko. Affixed by Epoxy Flexible Panels or Rack Ridged Panels. Wiring through the back-up camera into the van. This will achieve range 1 Kilowatt to 12 kilowatts

Battery Info:
LG or Panasonic battery

Inverter Info:
Atlas, Pure Sine. Good Value and in stock

Other needs:
Breaker Panel and Fuse

Warranty:
Parts: Depends on the part 2-25 years. Labor: 1 year

----- OPTION 2 -----
La Mesa RV Center - Tucson, AZ
$5,000 2 solar panels, 2 batteries and 1 inverter - for parts & labor

Panels Info:
‘Go Power’ affixed by Lag Screws. Open to other ways. This will achieve range 380 wattage.

Battery Info:
‘Interstate’ in a battery box with a vent to the outside. Some batteries use water some don’t

Inverter Info:
‘Inverter’ and ‘Go Power’

Warranty:
90 days labor. 1-year parts.

----- OPTION 3 -----
Solar Advantage - Tucson, AZ
Estimate $1,500 for low energy to run laptop, fan etc- for parts & labor
Estimate $3,767.00 for high energy to run microwave - for parts & labor

Panels Info:
...either Merlin Solar or Global Solar panels. A few of the benefits of either of these panels are:
• 80% lighter than conventional panels.
• No holes drilled to install the panels (self-adhesive).
• No added aerodynamic force or wind noise.
• Flexible so they won’t crack going down the road.
• Walkable and hail/road debris proof – objects bounce off of them.
• Literally bullet “proof” – if penetrated, the panels continue to produce energy around the wound.
• weatherproof
...panels are thin film, flexible panels that are self-adhesive. They adhere directly to the roof (or rack) surface… wiring through the back-up camera into the van… or using a roof jack, only one hole is placed in the roof. The roof jack assures a waterproof entrance point, whereas through the camera/third brake light assembly can be messy and difficult

Battery Info:
We carry three different manufacturers’ batteries – Battle Born, KiloVault, and Lion Energy. All are LiFePO4 Lithium batteries, which are the safest Lithium products in the industry. Benefits include:
• 1/3 the weight of conventional batteries.
• Zero maintenance – no liquids, no out-gassing or toxicity.
• Can be mounted anywhere, including sideways/upside down.
• Hold greater energy – 14.8V versus 12V of conventional batteries.

Inverter Info:
We carry inverters from Aims and Victron. These are of the highest value, meaning quality versus performance versus cost.

Other needs:
A charge controller, to regulate the power coming from the solar panels for optimum battery charging and control, and an installation kit – we provide a “No trips to the hardware store!” installation kit that is built specifically for your project. In
addition, options may include a battery shunt, monitoring gauge or display panel, dual-charging capabilities so that your engine battery and “house” batteries both charge off of solar, an ATS switch that allows you to charge everything off of “shore” power, and many other options.

Warranty:
…the panels, which are virtually indestructible and have no moving or active electrical parts, are warranted from 5-7 years (but projected to produce 90% of rated power at 25 years), and labor is warranted for 5 years.

END

From what I see, Option #3 looks to be the one I would go for.

reads more like an ad!!!

Latest resources

Back