Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Finding RV insurance that allows short-term rental (for AirBnB)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

njarnold

RVF Newbee
We are looking into insurance options for a Class A that we'll be using as a stationary rental (we're in a highly lucrative spot for AirBnB). It will be parked as rental most of the year, but occasionally, we'll be driving the RV for summer trips etc.

Here's the breakdown of what we've found so far: We can find RV insurance that will cover the RV while we are personally using it, but as SOON as we have short-term renters in it (even stationary renters) most carriers remove all liability coverage (if a renter should happen to get hurt) and all comprehensive coverage (if a tree should happen to fall on the unit, wind/hail etc).

We could choose to rent using ONLY RV rental sites (Outdoorsy / RVshare / RVezy), and those sites solve this insurance problem by having each renter purchase their own RV insurance policy just for the rental period but... it's really expensive because the sites don't distinguish between stationary rentals and renting out the entire RV (for driving across the US etc).

So bottom line question: is there a stand-alone RV insurance (any including commercial) that allows short-term rental. That would enable us to use the actual AirBnB platform rather than just RV-sharing sites. I'd also appreciate recommendations for any insurance brokers or agencies who specialize in RV insurance even if it's just to get advice or various options.

Thanks in advance!

This sounds like an opportunity for the insurance companies to offer a unique product but it would have to be at a certain volume level for profitability. It sounds like there's a loophole on the stationary (should be cheaper) vs. moving (should be pricier) aspect too, kinda like trusting it won't actually be moved and how to positively confirm that it can't be during the coverage period.

This sounds like an opportunity for the insurance companies to offer a unique product but it would have to be at a certain volume level for profitability. It sounds like there's a loophole on the stationary (should be cheaper) vs. moving (should be pricier) aspect too, kinda like trusting it won't actually be moved and how to positively confirm that it can't be during the coverage period.
Right and maybe the insurance companys' calculation is being afraid that someone might try to buy a cheaper stationary RV policy and then actually allow a renter to move it. Still--seems like there would a product opportunity there with an exclusion allowing it to be listed on sites like AirBnB as essentially a tiny home. Surely, I can't be the only person wanting to do something like this. Hmmm... would be really nice to find something.

Our friend had to go through rvesy because of insurance and after a few years he sold off units. It was very expensive fir renters and didn’t get anticipated volumes.

Our friend had to go through rvesy because of insurance and after a few years he sold off units. It was very expensive fir renters and didn’t get anticipated volumes.

Thanks for the feedback and helpful to know. It seems these days that Outdoorsy is the platform of choice. Any feedback on that or knowing others who have used it?

I wonder if it’s just as bad for trailers? I might have to ask my insurance agent, just out of curiosity.

I wonder if it’s just as bad for trailers? I might have to ask my insurance agent, just out of curiosity.
Several insurance carriers say they will do trailers if they’re stationary. The RVs with short term rental seem to be a special challenge but I’m not giving up yet. Seems like there would be something out there but we’ll see—again open to any leads or ideas.

Our friend was dealing with pop up trailers and could not get around insurance without subbing the rental out to rvesy. However, please keep in mind which I should have mentioned before this is Canada so not sure if US insurance would have the same issues. Here it is as soon as you mention rental it is either extremely expensive or they won’t even discuss.

Well I'm new here but have to say if you can't afford your RV without renting it, don't buy one. We live in a cottage area that was mostly owner occupied, but now neighbours on both sides have sold and with the new owners it is a constant stream of random strangers, up to 12-16 in a small three bedroom cottage. They advertise the isolation which they are ruining with their rentals. Rent it in a park and save your neighbour's sanity

In the United States Leavitt Recreation & Hospitality Insurance is the largest insurance agency in the country for RV Parks and Campgrounds. While you are doing this outside of that context I'm sure the agent will be able to point you in the right direction. There are some specialty programs out there for people who rent out their RV's.

It's true that short-term rentals that are stationary are easier to insure, it's not to say there are not any options for movable rentals.

Latest resources

Back