Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mattks

RVF Newbee
Hi all, we recently bought a RV and have gone on a few weekend trips, but now we are heading down to Tampa in a few weeks and I was hoping to get some tips on places to see or stay along the way. We are starting from Kansas City and I was tentatively thinking of driving south through Missouri, across northern Arkansas, and then down through Mississippi and going to the Fort Morgan Historical Site in Mobile. There is a RV park a ferry ride away, which sounds like it could be fun. We then plan on taking I-10 across to I-75 south into Tampa. We have plenty of time and can adjust the drive or trip to see other places. I dont know anything about Mississippi, but we are planning on stopping for the night somewhere between Memphis and Jackson. We plan on being gone 10-14 days, and we are staying in the Tampa area about 4 of those days, at least. Thanks in advance.

If you have time, go to Dolphin Island. There is a park near the fort that we go to every Thanksgiving. Right on the beach and caters more to adults then the younger crowd. Very pet friendly. We’re able to let the dogs have fun on the beach early morning.
You can take the ferry across from the RV park across the bay to continue your trip to Tampa on the scenic route.

If you have time, go to Dolphin Island. There is a park near the fort that we go to every Thanksgiving. Right on the beach and caters more to adults then the younger crowd. Very pet friendly. We’re able to let the dogs have fun on the beach early morning.
You can take the ferry across from the RV park across the bay to continue your trip to Tampa on the scenic route.
I’m glad to hear that’s recommended. That’s right where I was planning to stay the night. Anything in particular you recommend to do on the island. We then plan on taking the ferry across to the historical fort.

I’m glad to hear that’s recommended. That’s right where I was planning to stay the night. Anything in particular you recommend to do on the island. We then plan on taking the ferry across to the historical fort.
We did the same thing and enjoyed it. Fishing is the big thing there. I think you can do half and full day trips. We plan on doing that on one of your trips. We haven’t stayed longer then a few days so we kind of gravitated to the beach mostly. Not many people on the beach at all so we took advantage of it. There are a couple nice restaurants after you go over the bridge. Like I said before this is not built up like Panama City or place like that so we tend to make our own fun. You will see guys in there RV’s with a 28ft fishing boat With a bunch of people around cooking what they caught that day. They will invite you over to sample some of what they caught just so they can tell you the story behind catching it. :)

We did the same thing and enjoyed it. Fishing is the big thing there. I think you can do half and full day trips. We plan on doing that on one of your trips. We haven’t stayed longer then a few days so we kind of gravitated to the beach mostly. Not many people on the beach at all so we took advantage of it. There are a couple nice restaurants after you go over the bridge. Like I said before this is not built up like Panama City or place like that so we tend to make our own fun. You will see guys in there RV’s with a 28ft fishing boat With a bunch of people around cooking what they caught that day. They will invite you over to sample some of what they caught just so they can tell you the story behind catching it. :)
Sounds like a lot of fun. My wife loves fish and where we live, not many good places to get fish. We hope to find some places to get some great seafood. I was reading that there are crabs all over the beach, so perhaps we can try to get some and boil them. I don’t know what types of restrictions they might have on that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back