RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Georgetown 31L5
RV Length
35'
Fulltimer
No
Just bought our first RV in Mesa, AZ. Going to be making our voyage trip back home to NY.
What were we thinking?? We're really excited but somewhat concerned, ok nervous about our first time being a 2500 mile venture. The regular driving part isn't a real concern it's the mountain driving and finding the least challenging route back home. We've tried to educate ourselves as much as possible by reading articles and watching a lot of youtube. If anyone could share any advice on a trip they have taken from AZ to NY or anything close to that route it would be much appreciated.

Just bought our first RV in Mesa, AZ. Going to be making our voyage trip back home to NY.
What were we thinking?? We're really excited but somewhat concerned, ok nervous about our first time being a 2500 mile venture. The regular driving part isn't a real concern it's the mountain driving and finding the least challenging route back home. We've tried to educate ourselves as much as possible by reading articles and watching a lot of youtube. If anyone could share any advice on a trip they have taken from AZ to NY or anything close to that route it would be much appreciated.
We did the reverse. We went from New York to Tucson but not a direct route. If your concern is mostly mountain passes then I would take I 10 east to Georgia then head north. I'm sure you won't have any issues. The only pass I seem to remember was near El Paso and, in my opinion, not anything to worry about. Our travels south from New York were mostly along the coast so no mountains to cross there. My only recommendation is to stay away from I 95.

Sorry I can be more helpful.

Darrell

If your concern is mostly mountain passes then I would take I 10 east to Georgia then head north. I'm sure you won't have any issues.
I like that suggested route. Beware there are stretches of the highway especially in Mississippi where the road surface conditions are terrible. I had a friend who drove it last week and said there are some significant potholes. Just an FYI.

I would suggest looking at an atlas and planning your drive around major cities and timing it to avoid rush hour and or road construction. Here is a way around El Paso as an example.

Do consider getting a good gps like a Garmin to help you.

We did the reverse. We went from New York to Tucson but not a direct route. If your concern is mostly mountain passes then I would take I 10 east to Georgia then head north. I'm sure you won't have any issues. The only pass I seem to remember was near El Paso and, in my opinion, not anything to worry about. Our travels south from New York were mostly along the coast so no mountains to cross there. My only recommendation is to stay away from I 95.

Sorry I can be more helpful.

Darrell
The for the advice it was helpful

I like that suggested route. Beware there are stretches of the highway especially in Mississippi where the road surface conditions are terrible. I had a friend who drove it last week and said there are some significant potholes. Just an FYI.

I would suggest looking at an atlas and planning your drive around major cities and timing it to avoid rush hour and or road construction. Here is a way around El Paso as an example.

Do consider getting a good gps like a Garmin to help you.

Thx for the advice. I have an atlas, State maps and the Coach has a Garmin 890. Thx also for the link u included. I ordered the Mountain directory for truckers seems like something that will be very helpful in the planning. I was thinking of I 10 to I 20 up to Fort Worth then north to pick up I 40. Looks like that will keep me south of Mountains. Any thoughts ?

The mountain directory is very handy. I use it often. Timing of departure is everything as a late spring winter storm can cause havoc if you go up to 40. It’s hard to avoid the mountains completely especially out west. Plan your route and go slow. I didn’t see what kind of rv you have but the golden rule I follow is never go over the speed you want to go down the descent going up the grade as you reach the top. Makes the descent a lot less concerning.

The mountain directory is very handy. I use it often. Timing of departure is everything as a late spring winter storm can cause havoc if you go up to 40. It’s hard to avoid the mountains completely especially out west. Plan your route and go slow. I didn’t see what kind of rv you have but the golden rule I follow is never go over the speed you want to go down the descent going up the grade as you reach the top. Makes the descent a lot less concerning.
We have a Forest River 31L5 . I know you don't have a Crystal ball but when you say late sprint winter storm are you talking the end of April or May ? We're planning on picking this up the 3rd week of April.

I know you don't have a Crystal ball but when you say late sprint winter storm are you talking the end of April or May ?

It has happened. It’s important to always monitor the weather.

Latest resources

Back