Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I can't stand little noises while driving, I already switched from glassware to acrylic drinking glasses and that fixed that issue. There was a knocking noise in the left pillar left of the windshield and when my windshield was replaced last December Newmar secured the wire bundle running up there and solved that problem. I've been hearing an annoying knocking in the right side pillar and today decided to fix that one up. Not sure why Newmar didn't do the right side. Anyways there's a pretty heavy bundle of wires zip tied going up the right side so I used gorilla tape in several areas to tape it to the back wall so it can't move and knock. I also have to look at the rubbing of the pillar against the dash as that plastic on plastic likes to make noise as it flexes. I may stuff some velcro in there to pad it like Newmar did on the mesh shade.

So if you have noises in those pillars it's the wire bundles going up that path. Easy to fix.

@Neal how do we get to those wires? Is it behind the plastic trim covering pillar? I also have noisy blinds on the driver side it seems.

@Neal how do we get to those wires? Is it behind the plastic trim covering pillar? I also have noisy blinds on the driver side it seems.

Yes, just remove the screws and you'll figure out how to work the plastic cover out. It slides into the dash like a notch so you have to slide the bottom forward.

As to the driver's side shade mine sounded like a machine gun at times. Newmar fixed it and I think they added an additional support near the center. Not sure, but it was reported and fixed under warranty.

Had a slight rattle on the right side windshield pillar. I took a strip of door insulation foam, 1/2"x1/4", which has adhesive on one side; and gradually worked it between the plastic & the pillar.
It allows the plastic trim to flex, without any rattles. A cheap fix, that worked for me.

Yeah, I've got two things going on. 1) The plastic on plastic at the bottom 2) The wire bundle within that bounces against the wall/plastic while driving.

Neal, I wonder if a thicker piece of the foam insulation worked in behind the plastic would stop it from rattling, and help hold the wire bundle in place? It might be worth a try, & if not a fix, just pull it back out, & try to find a better solution.:unsure:

There is a large area for the wire bundle to flop around. It really should be secured unless you don't hear it. I thought of stuffing something in there but opted for the tape. I haven't addressed the plastic on plastic at the bottom yet. Probably some fuzzy velcro for padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back